1748205 Members
4481 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can't See Raid Drive in ML 110 G5

Venom

Can't See Raid Drive in ML 110 G5

HI,

Please help me out, I have 2 x 250 GB HDD created array from BIOS by selecting Quick Init, installed Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition everything went well but in the end I can't see Mirrored Drive I have tried to update all the drivers sfc scan and chkdsk but nothing worked, please help me what should I do

9 REPLIES 9
bigred6695
Occasional Visitor

Where have you looked for the drive at? In windows, in bios etc

Venom

In Windows, My Computer, and even in Disk Management its showing only once Drive

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

When you have 2 disks in a RAID 1 mirror, you will only see one device in Windows. Windows will not display them as a primary and a mirror drive

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
bigred6695
Occasional Visitor

With a Mirrored Raid, you will not be able to see the drives individually (the physical drives) by looking in my computer or even disk management. You will only see the "logical" drive in these areas. The only way to see the physical drives is to either get back into raid utility where you set up the raid. If you have the ACU (array configuration utility) installed, you can access that utility while you are booted into the server's OS and can view the physical drives there. Since you have set up a mirrored Raid, that 2nd 250GB hard drive is only for the backup of your first drive, and cannot be accessed seperatly, nor will you see any added storage space (you will only see 250GB instead of 500GB since one of the drives is an exact copy of the other drive)

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels#RAID_1

If you would do a software RAID then you would be able to see the mirrored disk in 'disk management' in Windows. But if you do it with hardware RAID then the OS only sees what the hardware RAID presents to the OS:
coffeenow
Collector

Hi All

Similar issue:

HP ML 110 G5 w onboard RAID controller

- Array 1: Boot (1x150GB RAID 1) << working fine

- Array 2:  Data (1x1TB RAID 1) << new, configured and verified in BIOS RAID utility but not visible in Win 2008 R2 64-bit

When I load Disk Management in Win 2008 the new *logical* disk does not appear.

I have updated the onboard RAID driver but that didn't help:

- HP Embedded G5 SATA RAID Controller Driver for Microsoft Windows Server 2008 x64 Editions (cp015552.exe)

Can anyone help? What is the problem?!

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, maybe it's better if you create the array in RAID0? Or is that not an option on this controller?

coffeenow
Collector

Hi Johan

RAID 0 is an option but I wanted to create a RAID 1 array for redundancy. The controller appears to work - it creates a RAID 1 array but I think there's a compatibility problem with using Seagate Constellation ES 1TB drives. Although the new RAID 1 array is active and verified (took 20 hours!) you still can't see the logical disk in Windows Drive Manager. Others have found out that Seagate Barracuda drives work.

Thanks

Tim

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Ah okay you have more than one 1TB drive.