1752568 Members
5211 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Compatible Parts for DL380 G7 and DL380 G8

Meat_Support
Occasional Visitor

Compatible Parts for DL380 G7 and DL380 G8

Hello!  I recently had two of my DL380 G7's go down (proc socket issues...) and I am looking at upgrading to the G8's.  I don't see a big price difference between the G8 and the G9 but if I can salvage some parts from the G7 and put them in a G8 I could save a lot of money. 

What components (if any) are compatible with both the G7 and the G8?  Memory being my biggest concern, I want to find out if I can use all my Samsung PC3 - 10600R-09-10-E1-P1 in a G8.  Had an HP guy at CDW tell me know but all my research is telling me I can.  The G8 I know supports a maximum speed of 1600 but it will also run on 1333.  I cannot find a reason why my curernt memory wont work..

Thanks!

<matt>

5 REPLIES 5
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: Compatible Parts for DL380 G7 and DL380 G8

Hi,

Gen8 and Gen9 are completely different from G7 and below servers.

Gen8 and Gen9 uses Smart Memory and SmartDrive, it means old memory modules and hard drives from G7 or below servers do not work.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03926319

http://h30507.www3.hp.com/t5/Coffee-Coaching-HP-and-Microsoft/Benefits-and-Features-of-HP-SmartDrive-for-HP-ProLiant-Gen8/ba-p/150027

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Meat_Support
Occasional Visitor

Thanks!  This threw me off once again though;

Will previous G6/G7 DDR3 memory work in my HP ProLiant server?

HP DIMMs from previous generations have not been qualified on ProLiant Gen8 servers. Certain HP SmartMemory features such as memory authentication and enhanced memory performance will not be supported.

I read that as yes my memory will work but SmartMemory features will not be supported, which I am fine with for now.

Meat_Support
Occasional Visitor

So I understand it is not the recommended memory but my question is this; if I put the memory I have into a G8 server, will the server boot and use that memory?

Appreciate the help!  Thank you for those links as well.  Still new to server management and there was some helpful stuff in there!

<matt>

Global_One_Tech
Advisor

The official stance from HP on this reads:

HP memory from previous generation servers are not qualified or warranted with this HP ProLiant Server. HP SmartMemory is required to realize the memory performance improvements and enhanced functionality listed in this document for Gen8.

I'd recommend against it but if you end up trying the G7 memory in your Gen8 server, please let us know how that goes.

Mark W

GlobalOneTechnology.com

waaronb
Respected Contributor

@Meat_Support wrote:

So I understand it is not the recommended memory but my question is this; if I put the memory I have into a G8 server, will the server boot and use that memory?

Appreciate the help!  Thank you for those links as well.  Still new to server management and there was some helpful stuff in there!

<matt>

The Gen8 server should be able to use your G7 DDR3 registered memory, but it will be recognized as non-authentic HP RAM.  It should boot okay with it but you'll get warnings about them.  Same thing if you use 3rd party hard drives.

Some features are only available if you use geniune HP smart memory and disks so make sure you know what those are and if that's important to your setup.