3678 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Create 3rd array (RAID1) with Smart Array P420i on DL380p Gen8

szbio
Occasional Contributor

Create 3rd array (RAID1) with Smart Array P420i on DL380p Gen8

Hello all,

We have a DL380p Gen8 server with Smart Array P420i controller. 

Till now we had 2 arrays with RAID1.

Recently we installed 2 additional disks, which were recognized immediately in Smart Storage Administation tool and are appearing as unassigned devices.

When I select them in order to create a new array the following information is appearing "Array cannot be created: The operation is not available."

I cannot find any way to create an array. Any ideas what should I do.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
jekoy
Advisor

Re: Create 3rd array (RAID1) with Smart Array P420i on DL380p Gen8

Hi,

How many drives is in your 1st and 2nd array? and how many drives your planning in your 3rd array?

HP P410i is a software raid controller with optional BBWC. Try to check white paper for P410i if BBWC is needed in your current config.

Thanks

Jekoy

szbio
Occasional Contributor

@jekoy wrote:

Hi,

How many drives is in your 1st and 2nd array? and how many drives your planning in your 3rd array?

HP P410i is a software raid controller with optional BBWC. Try to check white paper for P410i if BBWC is needed in your current config.

Thanks

Jekoy

Hi Jekoy,

1st array is two drives, 2nd array is two drives and the 3rd array is going to have two arrays.

The 2 drives in the 3rd array are already recognised by Smart Storage Administrator but I am not allowed to create a 3rd array.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@szbio wrote:

@jekoy wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

Jekoy

Hi Jekoy,

1st array is two drives, 2nd array is two drives and the 3rd array is going to have two arrays.

The 2 drives in the 3rd array are already recognised by Smart Storage Administrator but I am not allowed to create a 3rd array.

Specifications for the controller state Logical Drives Supported:

Zero Memory, Up to 2 logical volumes

256MB cache and greater, Up to 64 logical volumes

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!