1752316 Members
5980 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: [DL 360 Gen8] ILO 4 small issue

Human_Diversion
Occasional Contributor

I have a monkeywrench to throw into the equation here.

I had a system board replaced on my DL380 Gen8 last week, I updated the firmware to 2.42 and after updating I'm getting the "Embedded Flash/SD-CARD: Embedded media manager failed initialization." error. I've tried re-formatting per instructions from HP through both the Windows ILO app and the web page, and it only succeeds in resetting ILO and nothing more.

As I said, the motherboard replacement just happened last week, so I'm going to be pretty upset if the solution is to replace it again, since it's a production server and needs as high uptime as possible.

Chris_L1
Advisor

Saw this tidbit in my email from HPE this morning...

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04996097&hprpt_id=HPGL_ALERTS_1913281&jumpid=em_alerts_us-us_Jul16_xbu_all_all_757293_1913281_EnterpriseSolutionsServers_critical__/

Have tried all that it asks for - then had board replaced.  A week later - same error on new board (as "Human_Diversion" stated).  Didn't call back for same issue - mission-critical system that cannot afford to be down again.  

At least HPE is aware of the issue - maybe a new ILO/system flash is in order...

GustavoAyala
Advisor

I've tried iLO 2.44 and Force_Format.xml to reformat NAND partitions as per Document ID: c04996097.

Still getting after several resets : Controller firmware revision 2.09.00 Embedded media manager failed media attach 

Proliant DL 380 G8.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

According to the advisory you need to re-install IP after format.

Current version for Gen8 is 1.63.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Human_Diversion
Occasional Contributor

I can't even format the embedded media, so how could I install something after format?

GustavoAyala
Advisor

The advisory says so, but I don't think is really neccesary to reinstall Intelligent Provisioning if you don't use it (as it's in my case) and if you don't plan to in the future.

I have already intalled Windows, and even then I didn't use Intelligent Provisioning.

I just want to get rid of the warning.

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Hi Gustavo,

if you formatted the NAND and are still getting the Embedded Media manager failed media attach error, please contact HPE Support.

Oscar

Just to inform you all,

latest steps from HPE Advisory helped in all our 3 affected servers, so now is the issue solved, without board replacement. Please have on mind that advisory was revised couple days ago with detaild format script.

Jan

guillaume_F
Occasional Visitor

Hi Jan Soska,

Please provide link and complete steps (in case of HP moving webpages randomly and not redirecting old urls to new, like they always do).

I don't see any steps on HP advisory except flash firmware of ILO, which I did but didnt solve the issue. So I guess I'm not looking the good advisory ?

Thanks

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The link is in the post above, here it is again:

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04996097

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!