5535 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

DL320 G5 NC324i online firmware update kills NIC1

bk73
Occasional Contributor

DL320 G5 NC324i online firmware update kills NIC1

Hi,

I have had a problem when performing an online firmware upgrade to 12 x DL320 G5 Windows 2003 servers while using firmware DVD 9.3.  The servers all have the twin Broadcom NC324i integrated NICs.

Issue:  After applying all firmware updates, including the "HP NC-Series Broadcom Online Fireware Upgrade Utility", server reboots ok.  NIC1 appears to be faulty and shows a "wire fault" in the Network Configuration tool. The NIC1 lights at the rear of the server show a dim green light - top right.  Am unable to restart the NIC.  Tried disabling / re-enabling it.  Uninstalled it in device manager and re-installed.  Updated device drivers using PSP 8.7.  Nothing worked!  NIC2 works ok.  This happen on 12 out of 18 servers.

It appears that the firmware upgrade on NIC1 got corrupted.  The server thinks it has worked ok and that the device is fully working.

Solution:  You need to perform an off-line firmware upgrade using the firmware dvd (either directly in the drive or mounted via the iLo "Virtual Media".

Steps:

1. Boot to the Firmware DVD.

2. Select the option to perform a manual upgrade.

3. Select the "Firmware Update" tab then select the link to "Install Firmware".

4. HP Support Update Manager will now perform checks to see what updates are available.

5. On the "Select Bundle Filter" page, select the option "HP Smart Update Firmware - ML-DL 300/500/700 Series Bundle for Linux".  Also select the options at the bottom for "Allow Non-bundle products" & "Allow Non-bundle versions".  Click OK.

6. On the Select Items to be Installed page, find the "HP NC-Series Broadcom Online Firmware Upgrade Utility for Linux x86_64" and select the link "Installation Options".

7. Tick "Click here to enable install options".  Then click "Allow rewrites" & "OK".

8. On the Select Items to be Installed page, find the "HP NC-Series Broadcom Online Firmware Upgrade Utility for Linux x86_64" and select the link "Select Devices".  This will display a list of the detected NICs.

9. For each NIC shown, select the link "Device Details".

10. Ensure all elements are selected (options include "Bootcode", "UMP"), then click "OK".

11. OK all screens back to the Select items page.  Click "Install". 

12. Wait until updates are applied and reboot the server. 

You should now have a fully working NIC1 again!

Hope this helps.

Barry

1 REPLY 1
SFHR
Frequent Advisor

Re: DL320 G5 NC324i online firmware update kills NIC1

Nice Post....

Thank you for sharing

Regards

Regards//
SF Hussain

Help others for better Tomorrow