ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753772 Members
5145 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL360 G5 fans running at full speed and won't boot

Michael Commons

DL360 G5 fans running at full speed and won't boot

Shut down the server to move it to a new slot in the rack, on power up the fans go full blast (like they always did) but they never slow down and the system never even tries to boot up. What the heck could have happened here?
9 REPLIES 9
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: DL360 G5 fans running at full speed and won't boot

hi

clear NVRAM

1. Power down the server.
2. Remove the server cover.
3. Locate the System Maintenance Switch, position S6, and move the switch to the "On" position.
4. Power the server back on until Power-On Self-Test begins.
5. After POST has started, power-cycle the server off.
6. Move the System Maintenance Switch back to the "Off" position.
7. Replace the server cover and power on the system. The server will boot normally.

check this for the System Maintenance Switch, page 75
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00710376/c00710376.pdf

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

oh sorry

not booting means no Video?

if so also try reseating all parts
fans - processor - power supplies - ...
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
HP User 1990
Occasional Advisor

Did Karlo's solution work?

On this server, the fans default to high speed. If the BIOS/POST process hangs before configuring the fan controller, the fans will remain in high speed.

It sounds like when the server was moved, something is now preventing POST from making progress. You either aren't fetching code at all, or POST is hanging very early.

Clearing NVRAM via the jumper may help if the system is fetching code such that POST can read the switch and clear NVRAM. However, if the system isn't fetching, this does nothing. You could short the NVRAM battery to clear NVRAM, but the configuration in NVRAM may not be related to why you aren't fetching or can't go far into POST. You could try things like seating the processors and checking their heatsink contact.
Tom Groves

Michael

Did you find a resolution to this issue? I've just had /exactly/ the same issue with a DL320 G5p - moved it within the rack, powered on and get nothing - not even video or POST bleeps.

I'd appreciate it if you could let me know how you resolved the issue. Clearing CMOS + NVRAM isn't working for me,

Tom
Lakshan Salgado

Did anyone find a solution. I have the exact issue
Fulvio Francini
Frequent Advisor

No update were done before shutting down the server?

I've found the same situations after an iLO firmware update. The solution was very simple... change the mainboard!

Just my 2 cent
Lakshan Salgado

These were pulled of production, drives wiped, shipped to another location and powered up. HP is shipping a new MB, they could not figure out why either. Definelty not a loose connection anywhere and we swapped all teh parts to another machine to check if they were good- and they were (except MB)
prestigeit.co.nz

we owned 6 of this servers, and apparentely when you move the servers, it lost its ILO firmware (maybe static electricity)

what you need to do :
Set the iLO 2 Security Override Switch on the system board to the ON position. The location of the switch is printed on a label located on the inside of the hood cover.

2. Turn on the server and leave it on (it will take 30mins-40mins to POST, be very patient, argghhh the noise from the fan !! it will eventually POST)

3. Download the latest Firmware maintenance CD, i use the latest 8.60, and boot from it

4.Use the following key strokes to exit out of HP Smart Update Manager. A command prompt will be displayed over the HP Smart Update Manager window. The command prompt takes approximately 30 seconds to appear:
CTRL + ALT + d + b + x (Keep the CTRL and ALT keys pressed when typing d b x )

5.At the command prompt, navigate to the Firmware Maintenance CD directory containing the supplemental iLO 2 firmware update by using the following command:
bash-3.1# cd mnt/cdrom/compaq/swpackages

5.Use the following command to unload the HPILO module:
rmmod hpilo

6.Use the following command to execute the iLO 2 firmware update in direct mode:
sh CP011095.scexe --direct (This parameter requires two dash (--) characters).

7.Once the iLO 2 firmware upgrade is completed, power OFF the server and set the iLO 2 Security Override Switch on the system board to the OFF position.

you should be good now

cheers
Teddy
smtpserver

i am now facing the same issue what resolution you tried, if worked with your server.

as of now my server machine running smtp server exchange inside is not coming to display screen means no booting no display only fans are running at its high what is the issue causing the same.

any idea please suggest

help is appreciated.

Regards

Ranvir Sharma
www.jsmtp.com