1748089 Members
5083 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL360 G5 not not getting out of post. Fans 100% and no video

CubedRoot
Occasional Advisor

DL360 G5 not not getting out of post. Fans 100% and no video

I have just moved a machine that was known to be working. Powered it down, moved it to a different rack. Now, when we power it up, the fans will ramp to 100% and stay there, and we get no video output from either the front or the rear VGA.

There are no error lights on the front panel, and the internal and external system health lights are green.

When I look at the port 84/85 lights on the motherboard I get the following. I am looking at the lights in the orientation of the rear of the server being to my left, and the faceplate to my right.

REAR: OFF ON OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF  :FRONT OF SERVER

Does anyone know what that combination means? I have had zero luck in trying to find out what the heck they mean.  Also, does anyone have suggestions on what I should try?

I have tried stripping the machine down to minimum. No extra hardware, no HDDs, only one DIMM of ram in slot 1A and only one processor, but still have the same results.

15 REPLIES 15
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

The port 84/85 are in the proliant troubleshooting guide.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00300504/c00300504.pdf (april 2011 edition, there might be a newer one out).

Would you be able to swap CPUs/DIMMs as well?

Are you sure the DL360 G5 should work with only one DIMM?

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12476_div/12476_div.html#Memory

Only has dual setups.

Any error leds on the back?

Try reseating the riser board.

Tried to set the System Maintenance Switch (a DIP switch) to clear NVRAM, turn it on, wait a bit, turn it off, then back on?

You'll also find some more details in the service and maintenance guide:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00710376/c00710376.pdf
CubedRoot
Occasional Advisor

I have tried clearing the NVRAM using the dip switches.

There are no error lights anywhere on the server, except on the port 84/85 LEDS on the system board,

I have 2 dimms of 4 gig each. I have tried alot of different combinations of these dimms and in different slots with same results. I have also tried different combinations of CPUs.

With my 2 dimms 4 gig each which slots should they be in?  1 and 2 or 1 and 3?

I checked the manuals that you posted, and I have not been able to find how to interpret those 84/85 codes. Im guessing they are in binary, but I dont know which direction to read them, or how to convert that into the error codes to research them.

I have also tried reseating the riser board, and tried removing all the hardware from the server as well.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

>> With my 2 dimms 4 gig each which slots should they be in? 1 and 2 or 1 and 3?

Both appears to work.

"When upgrading memory, DIMMs 1A and 3A must match. DIMMs 5B and 7B, DIMMs 2C and 4C, and DIMMs 6D and 8D must match and must be installed as a pair. When DIMMs 1A and 2A are populated the system is automatically configured for 2:1 interleaving. "
CubedRoot
Occasional Advisor

I just tried tried to boot it again using 2 identical dimms in slots 1&2 and also 1&3 but I still had the same problem.

I also still got the same port 84/85 leds. HP seems to be extremely vague on those codes for some reason :(

CubedRoot
Occasional Advisor

Well,

I have tried 2 other motherboards with the same results. Machine will not get out of post.

I also still have not been able to figure out what the port 84/85 light sequence I posted in previous posts means either.

Does anyone know where I can find what those lights mean?  Maybe that will lead me as to what to try next.

CubedRoot
Occasional Advisor

So, I have also tried 4 other sticks of ram in this machine and still cannot get it to post. I have tried 2 different motherboards as well. I have had the machine stripped to a basic config, and cannot get it to boot. Can someone give me some suggestions as to what to try next?

PZel
Trusted Contributor

Minimal memory configuration are identical DIMM's(a pair) on position 1A and 3A. The next will be 5B and 7B. (and so on).4GB Memory must be: PC2-5300 (SPN416473-001 OR 398708-061(or-861))

See also:http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00317878&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=397642

Reading out Port84/85:

REAR (=MSB), FRONT (=LSB).

In Your case: 0100.0000 = 4X

According to HP Proliant ServersTroubleshooting Guide: (Port 85 and ILO Messages)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64180&taskId=101&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121486

3X=Processor Related problem

4X=Memory Related problem

6X=Expansion Related Problem

00,01 and 5X are various

(In a normal working DL360G5: 0101.0001 = 51)

So, probably a memory related problem. (mis configuration?)

I've checked it with mine DL360G5.

Powered Off, but mains connected: bit 7(MSB) and bit 6 are jumping on and off

Powered ON: several LED are jumping ON and OFF

When idle: 51 appears.

All DIMM's out: 40 appears (your case)

Only a DIMM in 1A: 51 appears, but <system halted> on monitor

PZ
CubedRoot
Occasional Advisor

PZel,

Thank you very much for your information.  It looks like with the Port 85 information you provided its safe to say its a memory problem.

I double checked the part numbers on my ram and I have 2 of P/N 398708-061 FBDIMMS  which looks to be correct for this machine. This is HP ram (made by Hynix), and I have verified they were installed in slots 1A and 3A. I have also tried with some other ram that I know to be good.

I found 4 sticks of Hynix PC2-5300F that are 2 gigs each, and I tried them in slots 1A and 3A as well. I also tried all 4 in Slots 1A 3A 5B and 7B but still get same Port 85 code. 

I had bought another motherboard earlier since I though it could be a bad motherboad, so I went ahead and replaced it as well.  I am still getting the same error codes on this new motherboard using the stock HP ram as well as the other 2 gig sticks I found. 

I am still at a loss as to what it could be.  I have swapped in a new motherboard, and installed known good ram into the correct slots, and I still get the same exact error code on each motherboard.  Do you have any suggestions as to what I should try next?

Also, do I need to reset the NVRAM / CMOS everytime I switch the RAM around?

PZel
Trusted Contributor

Very strange ...

When  putting the server  on, there is first some jumping around of the Port85 LED's (so that ILO part is OK ??)

On the maintenance switch everything is OFF ?

You could clear the NVRAM by putting switch 6 ON (on the maintenance switch) and turn the server ON.

(First pull  your hdd's in front just out of the connector, just to be sure: the smart configration is also stored on the hdd's)). Afterwards put it OFF again.

The riser brd (412200-001)in the middle is  fitted correct ? No 'fancy'boards installed ?

When using a P400 channel A must connected to Channel A on the backside of the print for the hdd's.

I've noticed that the BBWC (battery in the middle of the hdd's in front, will sometimes be bad (become bolt and will stick in the frame) and maybe it's causing problems . I've noticed that when I take the whole Smart piggyback out the system, then it's still going to 51 (after a while).

Is the battery (button-battery), just next tot the riser card good and  installed ?

When  one CPU installed, it should be mounted on the right side of the frame.

Maybe it's still a CPU problem ? (you never know)

Maybe you need another  working DL360G5 to exchange parts ?

PZ