ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752272 Members
5470 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G7 SFF HD Backplane Kit (516966-B21)

SOLVED
Go to solution
BradV
Esteemed Contributor

DL360 G7 SFF HD Backplane Kit (516966-B21)

I recently took over admin duties for a DL360 G7 running RHEL 6.  Is there a way through ILO or the OS to tell if the SFF HD backplane kit has been installed on this server, or is the only method available to open it up?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Casper42
Respected Contributor
Solution

If you have the ACU for Linux installed you might be able to dump the config of the Array Controller and see there.

Are you asking about the primary Cage or the optional?
The optional would require a 2nd controller or a SAS Expander board.
BradV
Esteemed Contributor

The server is in a remote server room which I have to request permission to get in.  So, I was trying to do it remotely.  I have 4 300GB disks in the system.  I was just trying to determine if it already had the extra drive cage installed, or if 4 disks is my maximum without buying some more hardware.  I do have hpacucli installed.  Just checked that.  I don't see an expander card listed.  Checking a DL380 that I know has an expander card... it shows near the bottom of the output:

Enclosure SEP (Vendor ID HP, MOdel HP SAS EXP Card) 248

So, I would assume that if the DL360 had the expansion cage, it would also show something similar.  OK.  Looks like I'm stuck at 4 drives unless we buy the expansion hardware.

Thanks!

BKP100
Occasional Visitor

I don't believe a SAS expander card is required unless you're expanding beyond 8 drives.

waaronb
Respected Contributor

What they said. :)

In a DL360 G7, there's no SAS expander involved.  You just pop in that extra 4-drive backplane and the connections, and that's it.  The P410 controller can handle 8 drives without an expander.  Only the DL380 G7 has the expander show up.

I don't know much about the Linux versions of the management software.  Is there a graphical ACU for Linux, or if it's a server version of Linux with only command lines, does it at least show how many drive bays are available for use?  I don't imagine it would show 8 bays unless you had that extra drive cage installed.

Another option, check your ILO.  Under "system information" there's a "drives" tab that should show any installed drives plus whatever available bays are there.  The DL360 G6 I'm checking right now happens to have all 8 drives installed so I don't know if it shows empty but available bays... I'm assuming it would.

For what it's worth, I have that ILO screen going and it showed all 8 bays and drives at first, but then it refreshed and only 4 drives are showing up now.  Sitting longer and refreshing again, all 8 show up again.

I'm not sure how reliable ILO 2 is when showing installed drives, so take it with a grain of salt.  ILO 3 and 4 are much better when it comes to showing drive/controller info.

BradV
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I'm good now.  :)

BOYAN BIANDOV
Regular Advisor

@BradV so the kit 516966-B21 is just a back plant piece of plastic with 4 connectors? No additional cables needed to connect it to the second port of the P410i on-board controller? No power cable ither? Thanks

BradV
Esteemed Contributor

I honestly could not say.  Since I have not ordered the kit by itself, I have no idea what is included.  Try bringing it up in the HPE store and see what it shows?