108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G5 U320e SCSI HBA AH627A "Invalid SCSI Request Block"

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rex Tincher
Occasional Advisor

DL380 G5 U320e SCSI HBA AH627A "Invalid SCSI Request Block"

I have a brand-new HP DL380 G5 Storage Server with Windows 2003 Storage Server 64-bit that has been a nightmare to setup. After two weeks, the only remaining error is that after installing the HP U320e SCSI Host Bus Adapter AH627A (a relabeled ATTO UL5D LP SCSI adapter), I get two errors in the Windows System event log from Source: express2, Event ID: 31. One error is from Adapter Number 1 and the other is from Adapter Number 2. The error description is
"Invalid SCSI Request Block". The card is in slot 3 in the DL380 and nothing is connected to it yet. The error goes away when I uninstall the driver software. I downloaded the latest driver (3.10) and firmware flash from the HP website and neither helped. HP tech support has been working on this error and so far has not been helpful. Any idea what this error means? I noticed the ATTO website has a newer driver version 3.11. Has anybody tried it? Is there a similar SCSI card from HP that actually works? I'm going to attach an HP MSL2024 tape library to it once it works, assuming I don't get fed up with the system and ship it all back. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
Jeff Trent

Re: DL380 G5 U320e SCSI HBA AH627A "Invalid SCSI Request Block"

I also have a new DL320 G5 to which I've added an AH627A SCSI HBA. I'm getting the same errors in the event log upon startup. Worse yet, I'm persistently getting hardware failures from my MSL6030 library (LTO3) in Backup Exec.

Symantec has a KB article that faults the HP Insight Management Agents, but even after a complete uninstall of those, I still continue to see both issues.
Rex Tincher
Occasional Advisor

CDW shipped me a replacement AH627A SCSI card and it put the same two errors in the event log.

HP Tape Support said that an HP 412911-B21 SCSI card, model SC11XE, is also compatible with the DL380 G5 and the HP MSL2024 tape library. CDW shipped me an SC11XE and it worked perfectly with the MSL2024, using the Microsoft driver that Windows 2003 automatically installed. No more errors.

I believe that HP has a bad batch of AH627A cards. I'm returning both of the AH627A to CDW and will use the SC11XE instead. It is CDW Item Number 1061810 and they have them in stock. Note that the SC11XE only has one channel and one external SCSI connector instead of the two channels and two external SCSI connectors on the AH627A. On the other hand, it costs half as much and it works!
Rex Tincher
Occasional Advisor

The system has been running properly since 22 December 2008. For the benefit of other people and Google, here are solutions for the problems I encountered while installing this system.

HP DL380 G5 Solutions

These solutions are for the HP DL380 G5 storage server running Microsoft Windows 2003 Storage Server 64 bit. They are based on a DL380 G5 server and three HP MSA-60 hard drive arrays purchased from CDW in November 2008.

1. "Inconsistent stripe" errors in the Windows event log for the HP P800 array controller which handles the internal hard drives. Event ID: 24607 from Source: Cissesrv. These errors occur every 12 hours on an HP DL380 G5 at HP Service Release version 6.5. They can be fixed by updating the server's software to HP Service Release version 6.6 or 6.9, either by using the DVD included with the server or else the latest service release downloaded from HP's website. The service release updates various drivers and HP utility programs. (Versions 6.7 and 6.8 would probably work too.) However, installing the newer service release will break the network configuration utility. See below.
2. Corrupt XML file messages when you click on the VLAN tab of the network configuration utility plus missing VLAN parameter errors in the Windows event log. This might only occur if you have teamed two or more network interface cards. (HP calls each card a Miniport.) "An error occurred due to invalid data in the XML file used by this application. The XML file has been corrupted and should be reinstalled from the installtion media." Event ID: 49 from Source: CPQTeamMP. "This Teaming Miniport-Edge Configuration Parameters section of the Registry is either missing the VlanId parameter, or the Parameter is unreadable." Plus similar errors for VlanDefaultID Parameter, TaskOffloadChecksumIPv4TxTxpOptions Parameter, and the TaskOffloadChecksumIPv4RxTcpOptions Parameter. These errors are caused by upgrading the network configuration utility. The upgrade keeps the old XML configuration file, which is missing parameters needed by the new version of the utility. The solution is to rename the directory that the network configuration utility was originally installed in (normally C:\Program Files\HP\NCU), and then reinstall the network configuration utility. That forces it to install the new version of the XML file. Your existing network configuration will be lost.
3. Microsoft Windows crashes with blue-screen-of-death (BSOD) bugcheck error STOP 0x00000035 NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS after you install antivirus software. This BSOD may not occur until you log into a Windows domain and the antivirus software scans a file of approximately 1MB or larger, because you created, copied, or moved the file. The solution for this problem is in Microsoft knowledge base article KB906866. The registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Mup\Parameters\DfsIrpStackSize should be set to 10 decimal. If the key does not exist, then create it as a DWORD value and set it to 10 decimal. Reboot the computer after changing the key. As always, back up the registry before modifying it.
4. "Invalid SCSI Request Block" errors in the Windows event log. Event ID: 31 from source express2. These are caused by the HP SCSI card model CPD-AH627A. (HP calls it an "HP StorageWorks U320e SCSI Host Bus Adapter," or HBA. It is really a re-branded Atto ExpressPCI U5LD LP SCSI Adapter.) Driver updates, a firmware upgrade, and even a replacement AH627A card failed to fix these errors. However, an HP CPR-412911-B21 SC11XE card worked great in the same slot, using the Microsoft driver that Windows 2003 automatically installed. Apparently HP made a bad batch of the AH627A. So the solution is to use the SC11XE instead of the AH627A. Note that the SC11XE only has one external output connecter instead of the two on the AH627A.
5. Event ID 1013 in Windows event log. "Could not connect to Mapping Server├в ┬ж" This is a known bug in Microsoft Windows 2003 R2. See Microsoft knowledge base article KB913001 for a workaround. (Set the "SUA System Startup" service to Manual or Disabled.)
6. Popup window appears "Query Group Policy RSOP Data encountered a problem and needed to close." And/or Event ID: 1000 "Faulting application gpresult.exe├в ┬ж" appears in the Windows event log. The theory is that this is caused by attempting to push a 32-bit group policy setting to a 64-bit computer. Moving the server to a different Group Policy Organizational Unit (OU) cured it.
7. HP Data Protector Omniback version 5.50 backup software won't install from CD onto a 64-bit server. First, open port 5555 in the Windows firewall on the 64-bit server. Second, update the Data Protector software on the Data Protector Installation Server (probably the same computer as the Data Protector Cell Manager) with patches 394, 396, 395, 383, and 392, in that order. Or else later patches as directed by HP technical support. Then do a push installation (add a new Client) from the Clients part of the Data Protector Manager GUI software to the 64-bit server. Note that you can't install the Data Protector Manager GUI on a 64-bit server, at least not for version 5.50.

Jeff Okonczak
Solution

Rex,
The error is harmless. Somewhere along the line Windows started sending new SCSI Request Blocks (SRB) to notify the driver of certain conditions. The ATTO driver puts a message in the event log whenever it encounters an SRB that it doesn't recognize. The next driver release will include code to no longer post this message to the error log.

Jeff Okonczak
Director of Engineering Services
ATTO Technology
Rex Tincher
Occasional Advisor

OK Jeff. Thanks for clearing that up.
Convergo
Frequent Advisor

Is there already an update for this ATTO driver available on the HP website ?
Jeff Okonczak

Not Yet. HP is in the process of qualifying the new drivers. I anticipate they will be posted on HP's site towards the end of Oct. You will need to get the new drivers from ATTO's web site in the mean time. Please go to www.attotech.com and follow the download path for the Ul5D-LP SCSI host adapter.