1753844 Members
7898 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion

DL380 G6 P410 RAID 5 Array Failure

bgibsonin
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G6 P410 RAID 5 Array Failure

I have a DL380 G6 server with an expansion drive bay.  I had programmed the first two drives in Box1 in a RAID 1 for the OS and several of the other drives in Box 1 and Box 2 to be a seaparate RAID 5 array.  This was working for several months.  This past week, the system reported that the drive in Box 2, Bay 4 was bad or missing.  More importantly, the system reported that the RAID 5 array had failed and Logical Drive 2 cannot be used.  This logical drive no longer appeared in the OS as an available drive.

To correct the issue, I simply deleted the 2nd Logical Drive, removed the bad hard drive and created the Array again.  I do have one issue which is that when I put in a replacement drive part number 507129-003 as a replacement for the failed drive, it is not recognized in any slot and shows an amber light on the drive after a period of time.  Can anyone tell me if 507129-003 is a valid 300 GB drive for this server?

Question..what would cause a RAID 5 array that loses one drive to cause the entire Logical Drive to fail?

Thanks,

Brett

4 REPLIES 4
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: DL380 G6 P410 RAID 5 Array Failure

Hi,

Kindly check the Spare Part number which ends with -001 or Option Part number which ends with -B21.

These numbers will be printed on the hard drive itself.  Once you get these numbers, check this below link for its compatibility.

http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=408482&docId=emr_na-c00305257

Some drives will be compatible only with Storage or MSA devices and some drives would require a Firmware update to work with certain array controllers.

Thank You!
I am a HPE employee

>> Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

>> Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

bgibsonin
Occasional Contributor

Any input on the fact that when one of the drives in a RAID 5 Array failed the entire Array was lost?

Thanks,

Brett

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Raid 5 array will be lost if multiple drives fail.

http://www.recover-raid.com/failed-RAID-help.html

Thank You!
I am a HPE employee.

>> Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

>> Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

bgibsonin
Occasional Contributor

That is my primary concern.  Only one drive failed in the RAID 5 Array and the data in the Array was lost (see my screen capture for the Smart Storage error message).

Brett