ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748285 Members
4059 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G7 - Can I install a x16 video card to the x8 slot on the riser card?

nwx
Occasional Visitor

DL380 G7 - Can I install a x16 video card to the x8 slot on the riser card?

Both the riser cards provide only 1 x8 slot and 2 x4 slots. Can I install a x16 video card in the x8 slot?

Also will the iLo still work after the extra video card is installed?

3 REPLIES 3
xdeetee
Frequent Advisor

Re: DL380 G7 - Can I install a x16 video card to the x8 slot on the riser card?

>> Both the riser cards provide only 1 x8 slot and 2 x4 slots. Can I install a x16 video card in the x8 slot?

I too, have this issue and weeks ago posted similar question here but no response. I wanted to install video cards on my HP DL580 G5 and DL385 G6; and I have tried both pce-i x1 card and various pce-i x16 cards buy to no avail, although I don't have this issue on the HP DL380 G5.

Some have suggested that I look for a x8 video card but they are rare and a bit expensive. And since, I have already wasted a lot of money to buy the so-called expert recomminded cards that don't work, I am not buying any more card that might or might not work.

You might want to buy the Matrox DualHead2Go (orTripleHead2Go) Digital Edition Monitor Expansion as I have done. It is external; you attach one end to the server vga output and the other end to 1,2,3 monitors. You could get one for less than ┬г40 on ebay.

Sorry about the long post. Anyway, if you find another solution, please post it here for others to us.

nwx
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for the info.

I did manage to install a x16 card (ATI FireGL V3300) to the x8 slot and it worked. However, as the result the FANs run in higher speed and make extra noise. Posts online suggest this is a result of any addition of cards on the riser card. So I ended up with removing the video card.

Does the Matrox DualHead2Go give you some resolution higher than 1024x768 on monitors with the built-in ATI ES1000 video card (or DL580 G5 and DL385 G6 ship with a different card which gives you higher resolutions by default)? I was looking at installing an extra video card just for higher resolution (not for dual mointors).

xdeetee
Frequent Advisor

>>I did manage to install a x16 card (ATI FireGL V3300)
No luck with my HP ATi HD3650 PCIe X16 512MB Video Card

>>as the result the FANs run in higher speed and make extra noise
Did you disconnect the fan on the card? The fan on the card should cool the card and not generate extra heat for the server.

>>Does the Matrox DualHead2Go give you some resolution higher than 1024x768 on monitors with the built-in ATI ES1000 video .

I ordered the DualHead2Go but it has not arrive yet. . But this question is my main concern about the DualHead2Go too. Nevertheless, the specs gave  a maximun resolution of 3840 x 1200 @60. But how this will play with the ATI ES1000? I can't tell for now.

>>I was looking at installing an extra video card just for higher resolution (not for dual mointors.

You can plug in just one monitor. I suggested the DualHead2Go because, I have spent two months trying to find a workaround unsuccesfully. I have even had a long chat with the HP technical people but without success. I don't know why HP built these servers with no video card upgrade in mind.  I know that they are not desktop, but people like me use them in place of desktop for the power and speed.