1752799 Members
6046 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL380 RAID says drive missing

John Rowan_2
Regular Advisor

DL380 RAID says drive missing

I am not sure what "generation" the DL380 I'm having problems with is.  It has 2 Xeon 2.8Ghz processors which will probably identify the generation for those more knowledgable than me.  The server had 6 x 147.1GB, 10,000 RPM drives in a RAID 5 configuration with an online spare.  Drives 0,1,2,3,4 were the RAID drives and drive 5 the online spare. SCSI was configured as simplex but I changed to duplex Monday thinking it might cause the server to recognize failed drive 2 had been replaced, it didn't.  The online spare had been pulled into service several weeks ago when drive 2 failed.  Parity on the online spare completed it's building and I tried pulling the failed drive, inserting a new 146.8GB 10,000 RPM drive.  When I did that the other drives all went to failed status within a few minutes and Linux crashed.  I pulled drive 2, cycled power, the hardware said drive 2 had failed and should be replaced, shut it off, inserted disk drive, turned on, all drives spun up but before linux started loading drives went to failed status again.  I pulled drive 2, cycled power leaving drive 2 out.  I'd seen something similar on other DL380s I support.  I'd changed the SCSI implementation from simplex to duplex in those situations which solved the failing drive symptom.  I didn't have a SCSI terminator handy at that time.  Monday was when I returned to that server to switch from simplex to duplex.  I installed drive 2, powered the server up, all drives spun up, no failing drive lights, linux booted but drive two was not pulled into array nor was drive 5 returned as online spare.  Downed server, cycled power, went into array configuration (F8), it showed drive 2 missing.   Went into create array, it showed drive two as only available drive to create raid 0 array.  Why is it not seeing drive 2 to reintegrate into RAID 5 array (missing) but seeing it as available to create new drive?  Is it because the other 5 are 147.1GB and this is 146.8GB ??????

1 REPLY 1
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: DL380 RAID says drive missing

@John Rowan_2 wrote:
 Why is it not seeing drive 2 to reintegrate into RAID 5 array (missing) but seeing it as available to create new drive?  Is it because the other 5 are 147.1GB and this is 146.8GB ??????

I'd say yes, the issue is the replacement drive is smaller than the other disks in the array

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!