New Discussion

Re: DL380G5 & SmartStart 8.50

SOLVED
Go to solution
Albert Gostick
Occasional Advisor

Hi all,

Thanks for posting this thread as I tried to get around this same error and the techie from HP (even though he was good) did not have a clue at the time.

I got the error using the SmartStart ver 8.70b trying to setup an HP DL 380 G7 (lovely machine by the way) for the first time.  It choked on the same hpssbem.exe file.  I tried to copy that file off the CD (that I had created after downloading the .iso image) and it would not copy (it came back with "Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)") off of the CD.  Going to a PC, neither could I copy the file to that machine from the CD.  I guess the file was somehow corrupted when creating the CD (which seems funny though since others have had the same error - is the .iso image corrupted)?

Anyhow, after being on tech support for some time, I got the brainwave that since this file was somewhat old (03/03/2010) that I might have a copy on an older SmartStart CD (ver 8.60 from earlier in the year) and so I copied the file off that CD into the spot that was open (via the command prompt that was left open after the startnet.cmd batch file choking) - which is to say, into x:\windows\system32 (just in case anyone needs to know) and then I typed in hpssbem.exe and the install finished properly (at least it seems to have done so).

I was a bit  worried that there might have been something else in that startnet.cmd file that did not get executed but upon further reflection, that was probably not the case - because I would have seen that next line(s) fly by after cancelling out of the error dialog.

The one thing the techie said that might be helpful is he suggested taking that .iso and creating a bootable USB key out of it - he says it is more reliable than the CD and runs faster to boot.  You can create the bootable USB key using the "HP USB Key Utility for Windows" found at the www.hp.com/go/foundation page.

Hope this helps someone else get through this even faster.

Albert

srynix

We had the same problem installing the OS Windows Server 2008 R2 with the SmartStart CD 8.70 x64 in a ML350 G6 Server with a RAID 1

It crashes after the first reboot and shows the message:

x: \ windows \ sytem32> wpeinit c: \ hpssbem.exe
The system cannot find the drive specified.

The input data file hpssbem.ini cannot be found

We tried installing the OS with Windows DVD but the progress bar stops

The solution was booting from the SmartStart CD, running the System Erase, Reset All Settings, swap out the 2 HDDs and create a new array in ORCA (F8) and we installed the OS without any problem after creating a fresh new array.

I hope this helps

Sapo
Occasional Visitor

Hi, I experienced this problem with Smartstart 8.70B and Windows 2008 R2 with SP1, there was no way to install my server. I fixed my issue using a windows DVD with the R2 version without SP1 included and installing it after the first boot. Hope this helps.

Salvatore

T-A-D

HP Proliant DL385 G7 – HP Smartstart 8.70 & 8.70B – USB Pen – hpssbem.exe (64bit)

If it helps anyone looking for a slightly different approach....

This didn’t work for me. I had a DL385 G7, I downloaded latest version of HP Smarstart DVD 8.70B but still the same issue. I couldn’t find a compaq folder on this DVD 8.70B and for those who are not great with the cmd line this is how i fixed it a GUI. I clicked ok on the error (this is not a valid win32 application) .

I put in the HP Smarstart DVD 8.70 that came with server into my laptop and copied the 64bit hpssbem from the DVD onto a usb pen drive (E:\compaq\install\w2k8x64\hpssbem.exe   to   F:\hpssbem.exe).

Then back on the server at the cmd line I typed   "notepad.exe"   hit enter - using notepad as GUI interface (file - open) I renamed the hpssbem on C:\ to hpssbem1.exe.

I then copied the 64bit version directly from the usb pen drive onto C:\     closed notepad    typed "exit" on cmd line.    The server should automatically reboot.

The server should now complete the install and copies the files it needs from the Windows 2008 R2 SP1 DVD.  hope it helps.  Trevor

Elumbis
Occasional Visitor

Found a working solution in another post (I switched from Chrome to  the download manager in Internet Explorer).

"I have just experienced exactly this problem, and have now found the solution.

The problem comes about when downloading an ISO from Microsoft which appears to complete successfully, but in fact is only a partial download.

When downloading an ISO from the MS website, instead of using the 'web browser' download option it is better to use the 'Download Manager' option. This ensures a complete download.

As soon as I did this the installation went ahead successfully."

Strange that MS does not have an MD5 check option.

guhaiwei