5994 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

DL380e G8 - fan noise and inlet temperature

fishy007
Advisor

DL380e G8 - fan noise and inlet temperature

Hello,

My company has recently purchased a DL380e G8 server and we are having a few issues with it.  Firstly, the fan noise seems to be abnormally loud. We're already running 3x DL380 G7 servers and the 380 is louder than all of them combined.  This is while sitting idle in Server 2008 R2 or with ESXi (HP version) running with just 1 VM (the Vsphere VCenter Appliance).

There are 6 fans. The first one is constantly around 25%, the second one is around 35% and the last 4 are all the same around 45%. 

I've also noticed that upon boot, the 'inlet temperature' display is always between 10c and 13c.  The server room has an ambient temp of about 21c.  

I've updated all the firmware/drivers and the problem persists. I've also placed a service call to HP and they replaced the motherboard but the issues persist.

Can anyone with the same hardware let me know if your inlet temperature is also incorrect? If so, then at least it seems like a bug that may be fixed at a later date.  If other people's servers are showing correct temperatures, then I'm guessing something is wrong with my server. The fan noise alone is enough to drive me insane.

9 REPLIES 9
fishy007
Advisor

Re: DL380e G8 - fan noise and inlet temperature

Bumping this.

If anyone out there can help, I'd appreciate it. HP is no help with this issue and I'm extremely disappointed with their service and this product.

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Please log a support case and PM me the case number.  I'm currently investigating this very same issue. By the way, there is another active thread about this issue in this forum.

Question: Do your servers have the 12 Drives LFF backplane and the P420 Smart Array controller card?  

I'm asking because, I can only reproduce this fan behaviour when my servers have this configuration.

We do have the P420  controller, but I'm not sure what you mean by the "12 drives LFF backplane".  (my lack of knowledge shows here, apologies).

The P420 seems to run really hot as well. ILO constantly clocks it around 85c.

I have already contacted HP about this issue and they replaced the motherboard to no avail. I will PM you that support number.

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

The DL380e Gen8 has multiple configurations.  One of them supports up to 12 LFF (Long Form Factor) hard drives, in other words, twelve 3.5" Hard Drives.

Ah.  Mine can accomodate 25 SAS drives.

itstudio_si

Hi 

Last week we bought brand new DL380e G8  with 12 Drives LFF backplane and the P420 Smart Array controller card, 4x psychical hard disk present, 64GB RAM, 2x  6 Core CPUs.

Just after first boot things were sounding strange as Fans were on very high rpm. Initially my thought was "it will come down eventually when system is set etc." but I was wrong. After installing ESXi 5.5. and with single Win Srv 2012 VM on idle, server fans are on 99,96%. The sound is unbearable and reaches 50 meters out to street. We have 2 DL380 G6 which are working perfectly for years now and they never came close to this fan condition. 

This server is brand new so I guess we can just return it to our reseller but we will loose 14 days by waiting for new one. If anyone has any experience with this please help. 

Br, Emil 

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Go into RBSU and make sure the system is not set for maximum cooling

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
waaronb
Respected Contributor

Also, I think in another thread, someone mentioned that using non-HP branded drives could impact the monitoring of temperatures in certain zones.

Especially in the G8 models where HP actually went out of their way to cripple some things if you use non-HP drives.

Now, I might cheap out and buy non-HP memory sometimes, but I always buy HP drives, but it is a little annoying.  I only noticed because on one of my G8's, there's one drive bay that seems buggy... no matter what drive is plugged into it, everything works fine except the controller insists it's not an HP drive.

I'll be replacing the drive backplane on my next site visit (it's already had a motherboard replacement for another issue, so it's probably the drive cage itself causing that).  But it's annoying to get an amber warning on the server and the ACU complaining about that drive, just because it thinks (in this case, incorrectly) that it's not a real HP drive.

On G8's that might not be as common because blank drive carriers for the new design might still be hard to get... you're probably running real HP drives.  Or maybe the LFF drive carries on the G8 are the same as the older ones, and it's only the SFF carriers that got redesigned?

Whatever the case... check the cooling setting in RBSU as suggested above, and also make sure you have all the drivers up to date for ESX, just in case.

One way to tell if it's an issue with the OS/drivers overriding something is to boot into the RBSU or something and just let it sit there for a bit.  If the fans *still* run at 100% even when you're just in the setup utility, then it's the BIOS itself thinking the system is too hot so it cranks up the fans.

Unlike some very old Proliant models that ran the fans at 100% until the OS booted, newer Proliants for years have intelligent fan control even during POST.  So let it sit in setup or something, check the fan speeds in ILO and see if that's any different than it is when the OS gets going.

RelyOnIT

Have you found a solution as this sounds similar to the problem I am having with my DL360e G8?