4630 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL580 Changing to Larger Raid 5 Drives Compaq Smart Array 5i Controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
Glenn Kahn

DL580 Changing to Larger Raid 5 Drives Compaq Smart Array 5i Controller

This system has 4 18 Gig Drives in a Raid5.

Can I replace them One at a time until all 4 are replaced with 36 Gig Drives without corupting the Data.

Will I be able to add another logical drive to get the additional space afterwards or will it be lost.

6 REPLIES 6
Glenn Kahn

This is a Compaq Integrated Smart Array Controller sa-integrated (15) Firmware 1.50.
john_347
Regular Advisor

Hi Glenn,

The answer to your question should be yes, but backup your data first.. Why not rebuild the server.. would be a lot quicker than waiting for disks to rebuild..

regards

john
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Yes you can, but accourding to information i have. You will be getting the same data space as it is going to be 18 GB in place if you put 36 GB. While you do this, using array configuration utility you will get this error message :

The physical drives assigned to this array are different sizes. This results in 10% or more unusable space.
Are you sure you want to continue?

Check Image attached.

Regards,
Prashant S.

Nothing is impossible
ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor
Solution

hi

you can do this without problems

i have done this many times.

after the replacement and rebuild of the last drive go into array configuration utility (acu)

then use the "expand logical drive" feature.

-----------------------------------------

when running windows 2000 make sure you have sp 3 or 4 - or you could lose date.

the larger logical drive will have the same partition size as the old disk. the additiuonal space will be presented to windows as free space.

if your disks are set to "dynamic disk" you can use windows to expand your existing partition.

if your disk is set to "basic disk", the download DISKPART.EXE from microsoft. you will need it to expand your disk

best regards
ernesto
Brent_34
Frequent Advisor

You can get more space to create a NEW logical drive.

!!!WARNING!!!

If you are using dynamic disks in 2000 logical drive extension is NOT supported at the array controller level unless you have a 5th generation controller or higher along with other criteria! You WILL lose your data over a period of time.

The Integrated ROC is a 4th generation controller.

Please see customer advisory:
http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?source=EM000915_CW01.xml&dt=3
Brent_34
Frequent Advisor

If this is a G2 with the 5i vs the G1 with the ROC logical drive extension is possible in 2k with dynamic disks. Be sure to meet the criteria in the customer advisory.