7495 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

DL580G7 - Naming of internal disks

Ralf Seefeldt
Valued Contributor

DL580G7 - Naming of internal disks

Hello All,

I have a ProLiant DF580G7 with 4 internal disks (as SMH reports). (I have never seen one in real life.)

I received an error message by email, noting that "Physical Drive Status Change: Slot 0 Port 1I Box 1 Bay 2.Status is now Predictive Failure."
Refering tu the User Guide, the Server has 2 rows of internal disks. 3 slots in the upper row and 5 slots in the lower row.
I guess, the problematic Disk is the leftermose in the lower row, as s.o. activated the indoicator LED for Disk 2 (SMH), which seems to be the lower left disk (refering to the manual)

During the replacement of the disk (which was not organiced by me), I received the message "Logical Drive Status Change: Slot 0, Drive: 1.Status is now Rebuilding."

My quesiton is:
How do I read those descriptions of the disclocation? And how does "Slot 0 Port 1I Box 1 Bay 2" translate to "Slot 0, Drive: 1"?
Is there a Drive 0 wheras the counting of bays starts with 1?
What does Port and Box stand for?

Any reply will be greately appreciated.
Thanks & Bye
Ralf

1 REPLY 1
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: DL580G7 - Naming of internal disks

Hi,

Port, Box, Bay numbers depends on the Smart Array controller type, its firmware and how the cable is connected.

Here for example:

Slot 0 Port 1I Box 1 Bay 2, it refers to Smart Array in Slot 0, Port 1 of that array controller, Box 1 and Bay 2.

Slot 0 can be embedded slot.

If you want to understand then refer to that particular server user guide or smart array user guide.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo