ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751721 Members
6164 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Fan control / Power-Noise optimization on the Proliant DL120 G6 under Ubuntu Server?

renauddenis
Collector

Fan control / Power-Noise optimization on the Proliant DL120 G6 under Ubuntu Server?

Hi,

Everything in the title. Has HP any indaction on how to enable power / noise optimizations under Ubuntu Server / Debian?

I've searched a lot, enabled the HP repositories in apt-get, installed hp-health, some impi tools... I tried installing lm-sensors and fancontrol, but launching sensors-detect will indicate that I need the "ipmisensors" kernel module, which seems quite difficult to find, even in recent kernel versions, and so forth, ... (I could be more detailed if needed). But as a summary, I found quite a lot of different kind of stuff related to control the fans under Ubuntu, and none seems to work, and certainly not out-of-the-box.

As far as I can understand, to control the fans, Proliant systems have a hardware mode with "full" and "normal" speed, then the operating system is supposed to handle the sensors monitoring and control the fans more accurately (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=254889&prodTypeId=15351&objectID=c01214901).

Does HP have any indication on how to do this software monitoring under Ubuntu Server / Debian for the HP Proliant DL120 G6 server?

2 REPLIES 2
renauddenis
Collector

Re: Fan control / Power-Noise optimization on the Proliant DL120 G6 under Ubuntu Server?

Additionnal information:

Listing of the /var/log/hp-health/hpasmd.log shows:

ERROR: /proc/acpi/dsdt does not exist
 Cannot use ACPI tables to identify system
 Trying to identify the Product Name...  Done
 Using Proliant Standard
       IPMI based 1XX System Health Monitor
 Using standard Linux IPMI device driver
 Starting Proliant Standard
       IPMI based 1XX System Health Monitor (hpasmpld):

Watch out the "ERROR: /proc/acpi/dsdt does not exist" message.

It looks like the dsdt tables can be found in /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT but I don't really know what to do with it. Any idea, someone?

renauddenis
Collector

Link to the related issue at ubuntuforums.com:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1802824

Anyone can help about IPMI?