108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: GEN8 Drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
eXchange
Occasional Collector

Since many years we prefer to use HP Servers since they are rocksolid. Now we bought our first machine of Gen8 and feel quite patronized about the enforcement to buy only HP harddiscs for this machine. It's not that we don't like to buy original HP parts. But as long as HP SSDs and HDDs cost up twenty times more than comparable parts form other manufacturers we don't wanna choose them.

Now we decided NOT to buy more Gen8 machines as long as this situation won't be liberalized.

maxdadeath

Are there drivers that support windows server 2003 x64 for DL360p Gen8 E5-2640 1P 16GB-R P420i SFF 460W PS Base Server. Have tried hp website, there is only 2008 drivers.

MWarren
Occasional Visitor

Service part 651699-001 or 651687-001

Sbrown
Valued Contributor

The service part is right, be careful ebay folks are selling fake versions for $35 for SFF/LFF. They even sell the drive with them. I saw user selling 400GB SAS MLC HP SSD with SC for $450 and I even check the warranty and it said valid but I asked and the dude said the SC were not genuine! CRAZY!

Be careful! I doubt HP will warranty you if you buy these.

Don't buy unless they are authorized hp reseller!
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

From my experience the older HP disks work perfectly when mounted in G8 frames. We installed even SSD drives (not from HP) and had no issues with them.

I think there is no change to the drives from G7 to G8... only the frames have changed.

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"
BK_HPE
Valued Contributor

Hello @Nelson Kaeppel

Rguha is correct, the HP ProLiant DL360p Gen8 Smart Storage solutions are equipped with entirely re-designed Small Form Factor (SFF 2.5 in) and Large Form Factor (LFF 3.5 in) hot plug carriers for HP Qualified Hard Drives and Solid State Drives. These new carriers provide status and activity indicators as well as caution indicators.  Therefore the hard drives from previous models are not compatible with the HP ProLiant DL360p Gen8 series.

You can see that statement on the bottom of page 34 of the HP ProLiant DL360p QuickSpecs, you can also see all available HP Hard drives for the HP ProLiant DL360p Gen8 server series on pages 35 through to the bottom of page 39 of the HP QuickSpecs.

Please let me know if you need more information, I will be happy to connect you to HP experts that can assist further.

PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

@LSW

And how do you explain that all the old HP drives (drive only) work without any problem...? Even if all the docs say that this is not possible? Of course you have to change the frames... the old frames will not fit into a G8.

I have looked at one of the G8 frames and I think all they did was to move the LED lighting and indicating stuff from the backplane to the disk carrier frame. And they added a few more LEDs to create a circulating animated activity display.

The only difference is that "DO NOT REMOVE" LED that lights up white when another disk in the RAID is already gone.

Absolutely no changes were made to the disk drives itself because this would be too much trouble and cost too much.

BK_HPE
Valued Contributor

Hi @PDP-Fan

This configuration has not been tested or supported by HP and therefore HP cannot guarantee compatibility.  However, I am glad that you found a way to make other drives work in the HP ProLiant DL360p Gen8 server.  Please let me know if you need any other assistance.  

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

See here

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/4AA3-9827ENW.pdf

Not only the LEDs are different, but the frame has also a NVRAM chip.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Interesting.... and there must be a way to erase that data... ;-)