New Discussion юеВ

HP DL320 G4 Adaptec Sata Array Controller Drivers No Floppy

SOLVED
Go to solution
Luis Trigo
Occasional Advisor

HP DL320 G4 Adaptec Sata Array Controller Drivers No Floppy

Cheers.

I am deploying a DL320 G4 Server to a client, without a floppy drive.

I downloaded the lattest Smart Start CD for this server from Downloads, but it seems it does not work with Sata Raid enabled systems.

I downloaded the driver for the embedded Sata Raid controller, but how can I deploy Windows 2003 Std Edition without a floppy drive, if I cannot load the external drivers (Requires a floopy Drive) at the TEXT setup?

Is there some way to work around this flaw?
I cannot find any help on the net exclusivelly for this driver, but I know there is a way of adding drivers to a Windows 2003 Image CD, just not for this one.

Best Regards,

Luis Trigo.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards > Windows based to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). - Hp Forum Moderator

8 REPLIES 8
TJ Martineau
Advisor
Solution

Re: HP DL320 G4 Adaptec Sata Array Controller Drivers No Floppy

Luis,

The simplest way to go about this, open up the server and install a floppy drive, then remove the drive after you have installed the drivers that you need. Either that or you can use a USB Floppy drive, you may need to enable that in the BIOS however. If you need a usb floppy to borrow let me know, I have a few sitting around and can get one to you quick.

TJ
Luis Trigo
Occasional Advisor

The problem is that we don't have an internal floppy drive for this server.

HP sells the DL320 G4 with optional floppy drive, but with Adaptec Embedded Serial ATA Raid Controller, which they do not support for deploying without the floppy?? So why sell the server without one?
It is still a mystery to me.

Can anyone tell me how I can load the drivers on to the Smart Start CD or the Windows 2003 CD?

Windows 2003 installation asks for aditional controller drivers to be loaded thru A:\ exclusively, I may get an USB floppy drive, but I doubt it will be recognized as A:\. I will try this solution nevertheless.

Thank you for your offer anyway, TJ.
Rich S
Honored Contributor

In most circumstances I have been able to use a thumb drive or burn a CD with my drivers on it. Most of Microsofts software will let you browse for another source. Only OS loads were requiring a floppy but I have still been able to get around it with a bootable CD the emulates a floppy.

see: http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/wxp/

Rich

Say thanks with HP POINTS
Luis Trigo
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I do not need a bootable CD, since I have the bootable installation CD from Microsoft.
What I need to know is how I can add the drivers for the controller to this CD or how to load them without a floppy drive.

The link you gave me doesn't explain what I need to know. I already found that page on google before submitting my question to the forum.

Thank you,

LT.
Luis Trigo
Occasional Advisor

External USB floppy drive worked just fine.
Submitted points, Thank you TJ.
Luis Trigo
Occasional Advisor

Using external Floppy USB drive, but this isn't a solution it is a workaround.
Rich S
Honored Contributor

The bootable CD was supposed to have your drivers on it.

It is NOT just a boot up CD for an OS.

I have used it for WIn 2003 and XP setups to add unique drivers for specific PC's.

see:

http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread27681-1.html

and

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/windows-xp/14409-installing-windows-xp-onto-sata-drive-no-floppy.html

Rich

A closed mind learns nothing
Luis Trigo
Occasional Advisor

I also found this:

http://www.ntcompatible.com/Custom_install_CD_with_extra_drivers_t25442.html

Before opening this thread.
Just not the specific modifications to the windows i386 system files for the driver.

I used the usb floppy which spared me alot of "extra time" since this should not have been a problem in the first place.

LT