108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP DL380 G6 "The BIOS is not fully ACPI compliant..."

SOLVED
Go to solution
NickC1
Advisor

I truly appreciate all of your suggestions.  Like I said, I am baffled. I even purchased a new 512MB cache card, thinking maybe it was causing an issue.

2003 x32 runs great, so I dont understand why 2008 will not from the perspective of the BIOS anyway.

I really am at a loss here. I welcome ANY suggestions that you might have though. Again, at this point, I am willing to try ANYTHING!

Thanks again, I really do appreciate it!

waaronb
Respected Contributor

Are you trying to update your Windows Server 2003 32-bit to Windows 2008 R2 64-bit?  Or are you wiping your partition info and doing a clean install?

If you're doing an update installation, maybe it's a problem with Windows.

There isn't anything with the DL380 G6 that would prevent Windows 2008 R2 from installing... I've done it on several DL360 G6 (and even DL360/380 G5 servers), both with 2008 R2 and 2012/2012 R2.

But I've never tried an update from Server 2003 32-bit...  If you can, try doing a full reset of everything in the BIOS and also do a new install, wiping all of the old partitions on the array.  Of course that means you'll have to backup all of your data, install everything fresh, and restore the data you need, but that might be the only way to go.

NickC1
Advisor

Thanks for the response WaaronB.  I have tried both an upgrade as well as a full, clean install including wiping the drives. I have even tried new drives thinking that maybe the drive firmware was the issue...no luck.

I have reset the BIOS settings (dip switches/maitenance switch) and still receiving the same error message.

I know that this server can easily run Server 2008...just not sure why it is getting stuck with the ACPI / BIOS issue.

Any ideas?

NickC1
Advisor

Anyone? I am still unable to run Server 2008 on this machine and we have another server identical to it that runs it with no issues.

Can anyone else make any other suggestions as to why I am getting this error? The BIOS is certainly ACPI compliant, so the error message makes no sense.

HELP!!

****UPDATE***

So this morning I started poking around in the system32 files, and located the hal.dll file. I looked at the properties and under the version tab, in the "original file name" heading, it lists the value as halmps.dll. So, looking in the Device Manager under the Computer, it is listed as MPS Multiprocessor PC, but should be ACPI Compliant. Strange that it is loading this hal instead of the ACPI hal.  So, I edited the script to run the ACPI hal, rebooted, and still, no go. So, even when forcing it to load the ACPI hal, it still does not work. I re-edited the script again and placed the hal.dll file back in and it boots up again, but stilll no luck on installing Server 2008 or 2012. I even reflashed the BIOS (again) just to be sure...

Surely someone out there has run into this before?

HELP???!!!

NickC1
Advisor

I spent some time Friday researching this issue on the system hardware level. I removed everything down to bare bones minimum and booted the server. I then logged into the HP online diagnostics and ran a report. I noticed that the two processors that I have installed, Intel Xeon E5540, indicate that they do not support 64 bit according to this report. That seems odd to me as I have other servers with the same Intel Xeon processors which DO support 64 bit. So, this begs the question, are there models of these Intel Xeon processors that only support X86 (32bit) processing? I was under the impression that all Xeon E5540's support 64 bit. Based on the information on Intels website, it seems to validate this, but I thought I would pose the question here just to see if anyone has had a similiar experience. The report also stated that Hyperthreading was not supported, but again, I was fairly certain that these processors DO indeed support hyperthreading.

Anyone out there have any input on this?

Thanks!

NickC1
Advisor

***UPDATE***

Trying to boot from the Smart STart CD, I get the following screen after everything starts to load:

* See attachment

NickC1
Advisor
Solution

**SOLVED** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, after wrestling with this thing for months, I decided to replace the main-board. I contacted HP, and they wanted to charge $1700 to replace it. Um...no thanks.

So, a little digging around on a popular auction site, and I bougtht a replacement board for $40!

Installed it...updated...BINGO!   Server 2012 R2 is up and running just fine! 

...and that is that.