108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP ProLiant ML110 G7 using RAID 1?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brandon-K
Occasional Visitor

HP ProLiant ML110 G7 using RAID 1?

I received my first ProLiant server today and I wanted to start with something simple. I popped in three SATA drives and I wanted to put them in a RAID 1 configuration with the third drive acting as a spare. I booted up the server, went into the HP Smart Array cofig screen, but I do not see an option for RAID 1 when creating a new logical drive. I see all three of my physical drives, but under RAID configurations I only see options for RAID 1+0 and RAID 0. Since I only have three drives installed, I cannot select RAID 1+0, leaving RAID 0 as my only option. When I looked up the HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller User Guide, it seems to reference a RAID 1 being possible (and I would assume if a RAID 1+0 is possible, RAID 1 would be available by default -- maybe I'm wrong there).

So then I searched around and found another posting where someone said, "If you only have two drives it's the same as a RAID1. You don't usually see RAID1 on the smart arrays anymore." (http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/New-proliant-DL180-G6-RAID-1-question/m-p/5325995/highlight/true#M123770) I am completely confused by this statement, so I was hoping someone could shed some light on it for me -- if it is even relevant in my scenario.

Also, I noticed that at the bottom of the Smart Array config screen, there is a note that says "For more configuration options use the HP Array Configuration Utility". So of couse I ran through that utility, but was only given an option to create a RAID 0 (no RAID 1+0 this time).

I'm totally new to this and just trying to learn, so thanks in advance.

Brandon

6 REPLIES 6
Cederberg
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi.

As you have found the RAID 1+0 is a raid 1 when you use two harddrives.

The reason for you not beeing able to select raid 1+0 i think is that you have all three harddrives selected for beeing in the raid. You cant have 3 harddrives in an RAID 1+0 or RAID 1. Unselect on of the Harddrives, RAID 1+0 should be enabled. Don't know so much about the raidcontroller in the ml110 but maybe you can use the third drive as hotspare for the raid.

Regards.

//Cederberg

Brandon-K
Occasional Visitor

Thank you. I must have been trying to do something in the wrong order last night because I swear I tried to that. I've got my drive set up in the RAID 1+0 like I wanted with one marked as spare. Thanks for the super quick response!

jlgbanda

I have a ml110 G7 too, I've been testing RAID and I've used HP SmartStart bootable dvd to config it. There I could choose RAID 1 using 2 disk. I haven't used spare disk option but maybe using dvd is easier.
Regards.
c8aj
Visitor

hi,

I have the next issue, Im really confused dont know what Im doing wrong

I have a HP ML110 G7 Intel Xeon Quad Core E3-1220 - 3.1GHz, I need to set a raid 1 configuration to take advantage of the mirror feature.  For this Im using 2 disks of the same capacity of course (500 Gb), one placed in bay #1 and the 2nd in bay #2, so 3rd and 4th bay are empty, this is obvious but I let you know this for information purposes.  Then I insert the hp smart start 64 bits version disc since Im going to install windows server 2008 R2 Standard Edition, then when I reach the option to create the raid, it doesnt see any drives to work with, but it recognizes my drives in the part where you choose the drive where to install the OS.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Regards,

Steven  Bucek
Frequent Advisor

You may already have your existing drives in a config that is why you dont see them. Power on without the smartstart, when the controller posts, press f8 (usually). If there is no array configured, you will see a list of the physical drives and options of what kind of array you want. If it shows a logical drive, press return on the logical drive and it will show you a list of the physical drives in the array. You could just delete the logical drive and leave it unconfigured and boot from smartstart, you should then see all your drives and be able to config your array from there.

--To go forward, you must backup
Jeffrey D Chard
Frequent Advisor

Yourdrives are probably configured as jbods. ('legacy ide/Sata)

You need to configure raid in bios, you will then need to install the raid driver which you will need to download. I had to install it from a second USB CDROM drive (after  burning the driver to a cd). I did not work ins swapping the disk in the installed drive

I found HP smartstart disk more of a hindrance than helP in installing the os. It was useful to configure the raid using acu. But installing the os was easier just using the windows DVD.