ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751691 Members
4920 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Proliant DL140 G3 - Boots to External USB Backup Drive Instead of Internal HDD

Jason_411
Occasional Collector

HP Proliant DL140 G3 - Boots to External USB Backup Drive Instead of Internal HDD

I am helping a small non-profit out with their network. We've run into an issue regarding the two USB hard drives (Verbatim) used for back-ups.

For some reason. If the USB drives are connected, the server tries to boot to the external drive instead of booting into Windows from the internal drive. Please note we are running Windows SBS 2011. Using the internal RAID to mirror two 500GB drives.

None of the common solutions I find resolve the problem.

1. I've already ensured that the hard drive is in the top position of boot sequence.

2. Updated BIOS to most recent version.

4. Suggestions to "disable" the legacy USB support is not an option in the BIOS of our model. Only USB options we have are in regards to Device 29 and the ability to disable F1, F2, F3 or F7.

This is totally crazy, and I've wasted over a day's worth of time trying to resolve this insane issue. There is no reason that I can find, that the server should choose to boot to a USB drive over the internal drive.  The only other thought is that it's seeing the external USB drive before it sees the internal RAID system. If so, how do I designate it to boot from the RAID unit before external USB drives.

I'd be okay disabling USB support for devices outside of Windows. However, I don't want to lose keyboard access in case I need to modify the BIOS.

1 REPLY 1
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Proliant DL140 G3 - Boots to External USB Backup Drive Instead of Internal HDD

Hey!

Two long shots:

What if you change the order to get external drive - does it boot on the internal one then?

Maybe it could be changed by moving the usb-drive to another USB-port on the server?