3325 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Proliant DL380 G5 server Data recovery - died

upendesai
Occasional Collector

HP Proliant DL380 G5 server Data recovery - died

Hi 

I hope you can help, I have a DL380 G5 with three HDD setup on Raid 5. I am unable to bootup the OS as i think there is a motherboard failure. 

What is the best way to recovery the data from this server.

I have tried to use the HP SmartStart CD but again the server just shutsdown half way.

many thanks

Upen Desai

P.S. This thread has been moved from Servers > General to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). - Hp Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

If the system board is defective, you'll need to replace the system board, or move the disks to another system with a Smart Array controller

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
upendesai
Occasional Collector

Hello Jimmy

thank you for the quick response, unfortunately the server is out of warranty and the customer will not pay to renew it.

I wanted to learn about the technical process involved in recovering the data to a USB drive.

I do have access to another HP Proliant Server.

So should I just take all three drives and the smart array controller from the faulty server and put it in the new one.

What's best to do after that, should i use the HP SmartStart CD to recovery the Raid or install new windows OS to recovery the data.

I am not certain of these steps and would like your help.

Bit reluctant to test simply because its customer's data.

many thanks

Upen Desai

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Unless they have added an additional controller, the Smart Array is embedded in the system board. The array information is stored on the disks. You should be able to move the disks to another ProLiant and the Smart Array on that system should recognise the array information (Smart Array needs to be the same firmware version or newer). Just because the array is recognized doesn't mean the system will boot. The OS and the new hardware might not function together. You could tray adding the array to another system that already is booting a similiar OS that could read the data from the other array.

Of course none of this is without risk, the standard rule of having good data backups applies.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!