4147 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

HP SmartArray E200 - problem with HD firmware (to HPDF) upgrade

jurismacevskis
Occasional Visitor

HP SmartArray E200 - problem with HD firmware (to HPDF) upgrade

Hi All!

I have HP Proliant DL385G2 server with Smart Array E200 controller with RAID1 (2 HD) with a spare disc. In order to offline upgrade SAS storage discs firmware to HPDF (this upgrade was recomended me by SmartUpdate) I used Firmware SmartUpdate DVD. After I reboot server, E200 controller showed me message: "Deferred Drive Firmware Update In Progress - Please Wait.... DO NOT REBOOT OR POWER CYCLE DURING THIS PROCESS, OR DRIVES MAY BE DAMAGED! ..... Percentage complete = ....%". The percentage reached 66% and stopped. After some time I rebooted server, but E200 controller showed me the same message with  "Percentage complete = 0%" and does nothing. When I push "F7" it shows me "[HALTING AFTER CURRENT DRIVE]], but it can't finish current drive firmware upgrade. I can't find, how I can stop firmware update operation. Some time ago I upgraded firmware ( to HPDE) without any problems.

Help me please! How I can stop firmware update operation and load Windows? I understand, that some discs may be damaged, I can change it's, but I can't find witch of the discs have problems.

I would appreciate you help very much!

Juris.

9 REPLIES 9
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: HP SmartArray E200 - problem with HD firmware (to HPDF) upgrade

Hi,

Only a suggestion from my end:

1.  Switch OFF the server.

2.  Remove all three hard drives half way through.

3.  Switch ON the server.

4.  Server will not detect any hard drives at POST.

5.  Switch OFF the server.

6.  Push the drives back into their slots and switch ON the server.

I hope now the server/controller would boot up fine.

Tip: Remember to unplug any attached storage device or USB hard drives.

Thank You!

For product specific Guided Troubleshooting visit; http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Want to know How to use HP Guided Troubleshooting?  Visit the below link.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03283214

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

jurismacevskis
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for suggestion, but it didn't help me.

I switched OFF the server and removed all 3 drives. Than I switched the server ON. Array controller showed me message: "1785 - Slot 3 Drive Array Not Configured. No Drives detected".

Than I switched OFF (here I tried unplug server power cables too) the server and pushed the drives back. After switching server ON, it shows me drives upgrade message: "Deferred Drive Firmware Update In Progress - Please Wait.... DO NOT REBOOT OR POWER CYCLE DURING THIS PROCESS, OR DRIVES MAY BE DAMAGED! ..... Percentage complete = 0%".

Any other suggestions?

jurismacevskis
Occasional Visitor

Some additional information about problem:

I tried to connect drives to other server. Array configuration utility detect all of them and show, that 1st RAID1 HD have firmware HPDE, but 2nd and spare HPDF.

I tried to remove all 3 drives and put 1 other drive in to the server. After that, Array controller shows me message: "1785 - 1785 - Slot 3 Drive Array Not Configured. Drive positions appear to have been changed. Run Array Diagnostics Utility (ADU) if previous positions are unknown. Then turn system power OFF and move drives to their original positions". After that, I turned OFF server and returned original drives to original positions.

After switching server ON, it shows me drives upgrade message: "Deferred Drive Firmware Update In Progress - Please Wait.... DO NOT REBOOT OR POWER CYCLE DURING THIS PROCESS, OR DRIVES MAY BE DAMAGED! ..... Percentage complete = 0%".

Help please! I haven't any ideas! :(

Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,

waht is firmware level of your E200 controller? It seem to me there was such problem, solved by latest firmware 1.86 ... If you are not at this level, try to update it first (maybe with drives temporary removed!)

Jan

jurismacevskis
Occasional Visitor

SmartArray E200 firmware version is 1.86

James Kennedy_5
Regular Advisor

I'm wondering if you were ever able to resolve this issue.

We have a storage blade SB40c with a P400 controller, and I'm getting this same problem.  I have not been able to find a way around it.

LuizAngelo
Occasional Visitor

Hum... add me to the unlucky list.

I just got this firmware bug problem. I wish I could only skip it and try to solve the problem using some sofware...

LuizAngelo
Occasional Visitor

I solved the problem. 

1) First, remove all disks (in order to avoid the automatically update)

2) Power on the server

3) Insert the SmartCD DVD (and make sure the boot sequence will boot it)

4) After the controller passed (where it stopped trying to update the disks), you can reinsert the disks

5) Boot the SmartCD (and not your OS)

6) Proceed the bundle firmware update as usual (I selected the interactively mode)

7) Check the update logs. You'll notice that the disks were updated.

8) Reboot, remove the SmartCD

9) Enjoy your new firmware

yarbie2

Thanks.  I was having the same issue on a P410i controller and this solution worked for me.