1753681 Members
5844 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Windows server 2012 Std Rok

DoDstm
Advisor

HP Windows server 2012 Std Rok

Is it possible to downgrade from HP Windows server 2012 Std Rok to Windows 2008 server Std R2? How is this procedure?

If a final customer brought a new server with HP Windows server 2012 Std Rok, but he has the windows 2008 server Std R2 installed and did not receive any windows key (nor of the HP Windows server 2012 Std Rok neither of the Windows 2008 Server Std R2), what can be done to know if the Windows 2008 Server Std R2 is legal?

Does the Hp have a relation between the Serial number of a server and the windows Key bought??

I am not asking this to make any illegal thing, mas a new customer has this scenario

Once again, sorry for my bad english

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Do

3 REPLIES 3
Edwin Eppel
Valued Contributor

Re: HP Windows server 2012 Std Rok

When we purchased our server, it was the vendor, not HP, that installed the OS. The installation CD comes with a sticker that has the Windows key and most vendors will place the sticker on the system. For our system, the sticker is located on the chasis behind the front access panel, so you have to search for it to find it. I do not know of any downgrade options for server software, but if they downgraded themselves they should still have the original installation DVD which should also have a sticker with the Windows key. If they can not provide that, then I would be suspicious. The fact that they would downgrade from 2012 to 2008 on a newer system seems strange.

You could turn on the system, connect it to the Internet and then connect to the Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage web site to verify the validity of the install, but be aware that if WGA finds that the installation is not valid, it could disable the software leaving you with an unhappy client.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/genuine-advantage

DoDstm
Advisor

I really do not know what to do.

I saw the customer's invoice of the server. An DL with HP Windows Server 2012 Std Rok, but with no cals.

I run the "advisor" to see the windows key, but the program delivers a strange answer (please see file), were f means:

"f. The full product key is not stored on this computer. However, the characters shown uniquely identify your product key."

Thanks anyway

Do

DoDstm
Advisor

Hello

It's legal to downgrade from WIndows server 2012 STD

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/servers/operating-systems/microsoft/rok-more-information.html

Do