108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP iLO4 not working

MackyBalba
Occasional Contributor

HP iLO4 not working

Hi guys,

I hope you can help me with my problem. 

I tried to configure the HP iLO 4 on our HP Proliant ML 350P Gen 8. During the startup process, I can see the IP Address that I have set but I could not ping it using command prompt.

I noticed that there is a solid green light on the iLO port at the back of the server but the other end of the cable which is connected to the switch has no light at all.

I tried resetting it to default and set it up again but there is no luck.

Another thing that I noticed was a loud fan noise coming from the server randomly eventhough the server has no activity. It will last for a minute and the fan will go back to normal.

We just got the server last April of 2014 and I have VMWare running with only few machines. Sometimes, the noise will occur even all virtual machines are not running.

I tried to run diagnostics and it says everything passed.

I hope you can help me with this issue.

Thank you,

mbalba

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS- This thread has been moved from Servers>General to Proliant Servers(ML, DL, SL) - Forum Moderator

11 REPLIES 11
waaronb
Respected Contributor

If your switch isn't reporting a link on the ILO connection, it's probably not connected. It could be a duplex or speed mismatch. If it's a managed switch you might log in and check the status of that port, or try forcing it to full/100 instead of auto-negotiate, and do the same on the ILO, just to see if it helps.

The easy check is to try a different network cable. Maybe you have a bad one.
MackyBalba
Occasional Contributor

Thank you and I really appreciate your suggestion. I am using HP V1910 switch and I already used a different cable and connected to a different switch. If i am not mistaken, it is on automatic. All my cables are pre-terminated and brand new (AMP CAT6)

I just thought everything will work well just like the other server. It is connected on the same switch and working just fine. 

I will definitely try to that. 

Thank you,

MackyBalba
Occasional Contributor

hi,

any other suggestion? I still could not get it to work. iLO still does not work.

Thanks

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Make sure the iLO isn't setup to use "shared network port" I don't recall if the dedicated port would still show link status when in this mode. when in this mode iLO uses the first NIC port instead of the dedicated iLO port.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Jrk098
Regular Visitor

Did you tried to assign different IP for ILO ?

if not try to assign different IP and check it.

MackyBalba
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Again thanks for the suggestions. I tried resetting the iLO configuration, put another IP for iLO, connected it to a different port but i still got no luck.

The main reason why I want to have iLO setup is because i want to check the health status of the server on a daily basis and I find it easy to look on the iLO web.

Thank you,

waaronb
Respected Contributor

I guess the ILO itself could be bad, or the NIC built into it. Seems strange but anything could happen.

Just to eliminate the chance that it's something with the switch or some other network interference, maybe you could try plugging the server and the ILO into some isolated switch with nothing else plugged in (just some desktop level 4-port thing), or if you have a crossover cable, go directly from ILO to the server port. Then do your troubleshooting like ping tests, etc.

If even that bare bones attempt to ping the IP address on the ILO fails, then I'd be more concerned about the NIC on the ILO being bad, and then open a case with HP support. Until then, in my mind it's more likely for a bad cable, switch, IP conflict, etc. to be the cause, but sounds like you've eliminated most of those already.
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Are you using iLO dedicated NIC port or iLO shared NIC?

If you are using the Shared NIC, be aware that you cannot access iLO from the OS on that same NIC.  It is a limitation of the NC-SI protocol.  You will need to use a separate NIC on that server to be able to reach iLO.

I have same problem with ILO4, my network have DHCP, but I set static IP for ILO, it fails ping. After reset on boot I sea IP that was set by DHCP, ping on that IP was good and ILO was enabeled and work fine.  Static IP was set after do not work, even when it was same IP as DHCP. So try to set ILO to get IP by DHCP.