ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752316 Members
6073 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Have 72gb raid 1 drives on dl 380 g7 How to swap them out to 146gb drives ?

Snak3eye5
Frequent Advisor

Have 72gb raid 1 drives on dl 380 g7 How to swap them out to 146gb drives ?

So I have raid 1 on 72 gb drives.  It is allready maxed out.  I have hp tools installed like smarts start 8.7 and windows 2008 r2 installed. How do I swap them out to 146 gb drives. This is a production server with data. Can i just pull one out one of the 72 gb drives and put  in a 146 gb drive and hope it re-mirros and once it finishes re-mirroring pull out the second  72 gb drive and push in the sescond 146 gb drive. Is this do able. I don't want to blow away my os, just increase the size of the drives.

5 REPLIES 5
Abhishek Bangalore
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

I would suggest you to perform the below provided steps in order to swap the drives with 146 GB hard drive.

Please remove firstr 72 GB hard drive and put 146GB hard drive

after rebuilding is completed 

Please remove the second hard drive and then put the second 146GB hard drive 

wait for the rebuild to happen.

After the rebuild is completed please use the unallocated space and extend the array

Regards:

Abhishek

Help other's for Better Tomorrow

I am an HP Employee
Snak3eye5
Frequent Advisor

Thamk you so much for that tip. I have never tried it so wasn't sure if that would work. Would that also work on a raid 5 ?  Just curious.

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Yes it will work on RAID 5 also.

However, you must ensure, that all drives is healthy, before doing so. If you got a degraded source drive in the array, then it will not complete rebuild.

BR

/jag

Accept or Kudo

BonApps
Occasional Visitor

Hi Snak3eye5,

I just wanted to ask if this method for expanding your RAID 1 volume worked? I have exactly the same problem and would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello, method above really works, we did it many time. Be sure you have battery / capacitor backed cache in your Smart Array controller - this is only limitation.

Jan