108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How Do You Connect to iLO4 Using Rear Serial Interface

SOLVED
Go to solution
HalR
Occasional Contributor

How Do You Connect to iLO4 Using Rear Serial Interface

I have about 500 DL360p-G8 servers where the iLO4 network interface no longer responds to SSH, HTTP, or SNMP connections.  The iLO4 will respond to pings but nothing else.  Since these servers are in production, I can't go to the front panel to shut them down and reset the iLO4.  I want to access the iLO4 via the rear panel serial port so I can just reset the iLO4.

It appears that using "Esc(" to "break" into the iLO4 CLI only works up until the point where the sever actually begins to boot from media.  Is there any way to access the iLO4, via the rear serial port, after the server has booted? 

10 REPLIES 10
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Just to be clear, are you saying that once POST is completed, using the "ESC + SHIFT 9" key sequence to get into the iLO CLI won't work?

I am about 99% sure that the rear Serial port is wired to the host, NOT the iLO.

Depending on the OS, I would use HPONCFG from the inside the Host OS along with Reset_RIB.xml from the iLO Sample Scripts package to reboot the iLO without rebooting the host.

obviously try this on a test machine to be sure it meets expectations before proceeding.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

DanRobinson wrote:

I am about 99% sure that the rear Serial port is wired to the host, NOT the iLO.

Actually iLO keeps an eye on the serial port and pressing "ESC (" should get you an iLO login prompt

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
TVVJ
HPE Pro

You refer to the iLO 4 User Guide, page 148 that details using the virtual serial port. The guide is locatable at the following link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03334051/c03334051.pdf

You may also refer to the HP iLO 4 Scripting and Command Line Guide for cli commands, locatable at the following link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03334058/c03334058.pdf

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

Dave73
Regular Advisor

As said by Dan, try reset via ribcl.

If this works for you, i have an excel spread sheet with a built in script that you can populate for inifinite ilo resets.

Cheers

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

The server's serial port is wired to both the host and iLO through a MUX.  iLO has a UART that is always "listening" to the server's physical serial port and when iLO detects the "ESC + SHIFT 9" key sequence, iLO switches the MUX and takes full control of the serial port.  

In order for this feature to this to work, iLO "Serial Command Line Interface Status" must be enabled (either with "authentication required" setting or not) and the "Serial Command Line Interface Speed" has to match the Baud Rate of the device connected to the server's serial port. iLO Default speed is 9600 bits/second.

Once you are in the iLO CLI prompt you can reboot iLO by typing

cd /map1

reset

Oscar, is the "ESC + SHIFT 9" key sequence is done during post ?

Dave73
Regular Advisor

Hal, have you tired to telnet to the ilo ? You can also reset it once connected.

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

The ESC sequence should work all the time.