ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748185 Members
4296 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How can I upgrade controller on Proliant server?

SOLVED
Go to solution
visna77
Occasional Advisor

How can I upgrade controller on Proliant server?

Hello guys,

I've a DL380e G8 with default B320i controller with 3HD SAS attached, I would like to upgrade controller and add more disks for imrpove performance on my database server, How I can do it without reinstall everything?

thanks very much

bye

5 REPLIES 5
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: How can I upgrade controller on Proliant server?

@visna77 wrote:

Hello guys,

I've a DL380e G8 with default B320i controller with 3HD SAS attached, I would like to upgrade controller and add more disks for imrpove performance on my database server, How I can do it without reinstall everything?

thanks very much

bye

If you install one of the supported 'P' series Smart Array controllers, the drives attached to the B320i can be moved to the new controller without data loss.

Refer to the quickspecs of the server for a list of supproted controllers.

NOTE: Standard discalimer, whenever you modify or change any drive configuration make sure you have a valid data backup.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
visna77
Occasional Advisor

ok but windows server OS installed need new driver for working fine , right?

There is a risk of BSOD?

The controller is P410i and is compatibile with proliant, I've already verified from quickspecs

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

@visna77 wrote:

ok but windows server OS installed need new driver for working fine , right?

There is a risk of BSOD?

The controller is P410i and is compatibile with proliant, I've already verified from quickspecs

The P410i is an embedded controller, the P410 is a PCIe cardm both are for previous server generations. You need to look at the P420 controller. Yes Windows may need the driver for the P420.  Before moving the drives, install the new controller and let Windows install teh driver required. Once the driver is installed in Windows you can then cable the new controller to the drive backplane

visna77
Occasional Advisor

thank you very much!

Last question, you can confirm that proliant DL380 Gx have two channel port attach on Smart Array controller, so disk 1,2,3,4 are attach to port 1 and disk 5,6,7,8 are on second port of controller?

So for best performance is always better balance disks splitting on bays, for example 1,2 raid1  and 5,6 raid1 ?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I think most do, but I don't have a system handy to look at