1751797 Members
5703 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

How to upgrade iLO 3 firmware?

gonvaled
Collector

How to upgrade iLO 3 firmware?

My iLO interface has been attacked and it is being used for malicious purposes. I need to upgrade the firmware.

The iLO web interface allows me to upload a .bin file ("Obtain the firmware image (.bin) file from the Online ROM Flash Component for HP Integrated Lights-Out.")

Where can I find this .bin file? It is impossible for me to find this in the HP website.

What is the latest iLO 3 version? (my server is a ProLiant DL380 G7)

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
Lincy_Zachariah
Valued Contributor

Re: How to upgrade iLO 3 firmware?

Hi,

Click on the following link to get the latest ILO3 firmware.
https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/product?language=en_US&cep=on&kmpmoid=4154735&tab=manualsAndGuides

• Select the appropriate operating system.
  • Click on "Firmware - Lights-Out Management."
  • download, and install iLO 3 Firmware Version

[Moderator edit: Updated the broken link]

gonvaled
Collector

Thanks for your reply,

This is not what I am looking for. I am looking for the .bin file which I can use to upload via the iLO web interface. Just the .bin file, which is asked (and rightly so) by the iLO web interface to do its own upgrade.

I do not want to install anything from my operating system. The iLO web interface offers me the possibility to load a .bin file, which I presume is the new firmware version. No need to download any executable and run it from my host system: the iLO is already prepared to handle its own upgrade.

Were can I find the .bin firmware?

The reason why I want to do it like this is:

1) It is much easier to let the iLO do its own upgrade

2) For my host OS (Ubuntu 12.04), there is no firmware offered

3) In case I download a firmware installer for another OS, will it work? Will it break anything?

4) In case I find the right firmware installer: what do I do with it? Why should I care about all this, when the iLO can upgrade itself with a very simple .bin firmware file?

5) Why should we complicate this process that much? The firmware is NOT OS dependent, and the iLO can do its own upgrade. It would be MUCH easier to offer a single, OS-independent firmware. No need to go around selecting unnecessary things.

Thanks anyway for your reply!

Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,

getting the .bin file is very simple. Just download for example win 2008 online update executable and UNPACK it (with tool like Total Commander, Winrar, etc), there is always .bin file you need.

Jan

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Grab either the latest  .exe or the .scexe of the iLO firmware and unpack the archive. Since your running ubuntu, if your normal client is also Linxu based, grab the .scexe  and run ./filename.scexe unpack={directory_to_unpack_in}  Grab the .bin file and upload from your browser.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
abhijitguha
Visitor

That link https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=c04154343 does not work anymore

[Moderator edit: Updated the broken link]

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

attzonko

Links not working. Anyone have a working link for iLO 3 Firmware download?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

It is not so hard to find. Start at

www.hpe.com/support

http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5294355&swItemId=MTX_bb45e0682dd04f098ad89e189c&swEnvOid=4064

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
remav

Why don't you just post the .bin file? 

It's a crazy amount of wasted time every time we want to even find out if we are at the current iLo version.

...or at least label the iLo version contained inside since that is the only version number anyone would care about when wanting to upgrade.

(Is 1.88 current???)