ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752502 Members
5453 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ILO Firmware update via command line with ipmitool.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Casper42
Respected Contributor

Anthony, he has LO100i which as mentioned above is NOT the same as iLO.

LO100i was a 3rd party BMC with HP Firmware.
This was only used in some 100 series machines to save cost.

iLO 1/2/3/4 are all HP Designed ASIC (Processor).
As of Gen8, LO100i is no longer used and all new models have iLO4.

So while the help is appreciated, stop giving him download links for iLO :)
Casper42
Respected Contributor

PS: It looks like you can only do a USB Firmware update on those LO100i models like Torsten reccomended.

Download this and run it from a WINDOWS machine to create the USB Key.
Then you can put the USB Key into the DL180 and boot from it.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdHome/?sp4ts.oid=3884340&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3DswEnvOID%253D54%257CswLang%253D%257Caction%253DlistDriver&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken#Firmware - Management
anthony11
Regular Advisor

Doh.  Sorry.  I only saw "I have ilo1 and 2" early on and missed the later information.

yesilbeyaz
Advisor

Ok thank you guys. I now know that they are only Lights-Out 100i Remote Management no way of ILO. And there seems to be only usb media key. But I can make is iso maybe and use PXE boot to flash LO.

Only think I still wonder, do you think PXE boot can be used to flash firmware logically?

Casper42
Respected Contributor

The HP USB Key deployments typically use DOS as the underlying OS and I am not sure you will be able to easily get that to work over PXE.

If you download the above SP62696.exe I linked to, you will find you can extract the contents with any decent zip/rar type tool.
They provide the USB contents, raw files and ISO.
The ISO is using Floppy emulation within the El Torito boot spec and is emulating a 2.88MB Floppy disk.

If you can somehow chain load that ISO over PXE, you might be able to get it to work.
yesilbeyaz
Advisor

Thats exactly what I will go to try.

yesilbeyaz
Advisor

I can not make it work. Download link for USB Media Key here does not contain bootable iso. So I edited an other bootable iso for some other server model and changed files within iso and tried with that new iso. It was fine to boot from iso and when flash process starter from pxe, I got an error that says no rom file is found to flash.

Maybe I do something wrong but do not think so. So do you know a way to make an iso from above usb media key download link for ROMPaq Flat Files folder?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

No downloads for this firmware are an ISO image. You have can either build the bootable USB key (windows based tool) or you can use the online tool from the running OS. Debian/Ubuntu isn't listed, but have you tried executing the .scexe file from your host OS? This is the file you need for a DL180 G6 which is shown as the server model in one of the screenshots you posted earlier

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/sc-linux-fw/p809436880/v89290/CP021014.scexe

If you want to boot from a USB key to updarte you will need this file

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=3884340&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3Didx%253D%257CswItem%253DMTX_c77431f956cd43abac1d982a18%257CswEnvOID%253D4103%257CitemLocale%253D%257CswLang%253D%257Cmode%253D%257Caction%253DdriverDocument&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vig...

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

done?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
yesilbeyaz
Advisor

Problems are,

All my servers are debian based, so I can not run the file from server. With usb key, as I said servers most of time does not detect virtual media no iso or usb key. So usb boot is not also an option for me. Only option is, PXE boot with iso file. Thats why I need iso file. But most of firmware download pages states to USB media key. And I am looking for a working way to make these usb media files iso file. Probably pxe boot will work. Other wise, I will visit datacenter :)