ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751907 Members
4849 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is it possible to upgrade my DL380 G5 to quad core CPU?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeff Yan
Occasional Advisor

Is it possible to upgrade my DL380 G5 to quad core CPU?

Hey:

I currently have a DL380 G5 with a dual core CPU. I wanted to find out if I can upgrade it to two quad core CPUs.

The S/N is XXXXXXXXXX

Thanks much!

P.S. For your security, I have removed the serial number from your post - that's information you probably don't want to make publicly available. - HP Forum Moderator

12 REPLIES 12
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi,

check this link.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=USE750N0HJ

regards.
Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

Andrew Gladstone
Valued Contributor

Jeff-
Based on the Partsurfer lookup, there is no way to determine exactly whether your system board would support the Quad Core CPU's. I looked up your serial number in the HP Warranty database and it appears your server was produced in 2007 - and likely would not support the Quad Core CPU's.
The only way you can really know whether your system is upgradeable would be to look at the spare part number on the system board serial number tag.
Here are the two possibilities:

407749-001: System (processor) board - With processor cage and battery - For use with Intel Xeon 50xx and 51xx dual core processors

436526-001: I/O systemboard (mother board) - Supports Intel Xeon 50xx, 51xx, 52xx, 53xx and 54xx processors (quad-core) - Includes cage and battery - Quad-core processors or dual-core processors can be installed on the system board

Hope this info helps.
Jeff Yan
Occasional Advisor

Thanks much for info!

I have opened the box and tried to locate the S/N on the system board. However, I am not able to find it.

The system board is a very cluttered place. Where should I look?
Andrew Gladstone
Valued Contributor

Jeff-
You may need to remove the PCI card cage. The sticker with the system board serial number and part number is usually placed underneath the area directly below the card cage. If you have any cards installed, it would block your view.
Good Luck.
Jeff Yan
Occasional Advisor

Hey everyone:

Thanks much for the useful info!

I opened the box and removed the PCI cage. I found a label that says

SP#: 436526-001
P3021AKMQVBBUS
AS#: 013096-001

Is this a good sign? :)
Andrew Gladstone
Valued Contributor

Jeff-

You are in luck! A Partsurfer lookup o that spare part number says that it can be upgraded to Quad Core CPU's - 436526-001: I/O systemboard (mother board) - Supports Intel Xeon 50xx, 51xx, 52xx, 53xx and 54xx processors (quad-core) - Includes cage and battery - Quad-core processors or dual-core processors can be installed on the system board.

Please remember to rate the responses to your inquiry as that is our system of rewarding the effort put into helping you find a solution.
Jeff Yan
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Andrew! I should probably buy a lotto too when the luck is still with me :)

I am thinking about DIY. I figure I need an identical pair of refurbished Xeon E5405 - 2.0GHz CPU kits, that includes the PROCESSOR, HEATSINK, AND VRM, designed for HP DL380G5.

Anything I should take caution?

Thanks again, Jeff
Jeff Yan
Occasional Advisor

I am planning to upgrade my HP Proliant DL380 G5 to use two quad core CPU's.

Currently I am looking at 458579-B21 but I want to make sure I can install two of them onto the system board. As mentioned in the previous postings, my system board has a part number 436526-001. This part number does support quad core processors and there are two processor sockets on the board.

My question is, can I install two 458579-B21 processors? Are there any restrictions on how many (one or two) of them being installed?

This may be a stupid question, but I am a newbie and please help me.
Andrew Gladstone
Valued Contributor

Jeff-
Not a stupid question. Your board can support two quad core CPU's, 1 in each socket. You should be OK for your upgrade.
Good Luck