ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748146 Members
3780 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is it possible to upgrade my DL380 G5 to quad core CPU?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeff Yan
Occasional Advisor

Hey:

I purchased two refurbished E5405 Quadcore kits (458579-B21), with heatsink and VRM.

But I just discovered that I can only install one processor (with heatsink and VRM) to my DL380 G5. I have installed either of them and been able to boot up.

However, I am not able to boot up when both processors (with heatsink and VRM) are installed. The server seems to try to boot again and again, with fans starts to spin, etc., but it never starts up.

Obviously, the processors are good, otherwise I wouldn't be able to boot up with each one of them individually.

Is there any BIOS configuration that I have to set so that the server works with two processors?

Thanks!

Jeff Yan
Occasional Advisor

It turns out that one of the VRM is bad.

When I tried putting either processors into the first CPU socket, I had the good VRM in the slot so it worked with either processors.

I realized that I should test out the VRM, so I swapped the other VRM into the first slot, neither processor works. So the culprit is really the VRM.

saurabhjohn

Hi can anybody please help me I have DL380G5 running dual core Xeon processor. I want to upgrade it to quad core. I have checked and it can be upgraded. My question is -
If I buy processor can I use existing vrm or I have to buy new one.
What is the latest processor I can upgrade to.
I am attaching a picture of motherboard for reference.