1753826 Members
8294 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Issues installing OS on HP Sl390s G7 server

n00b2hp
Occasional Advisor

Issues installing OS on HP Sl390s G7 server

Ever since i added 2 hard disk drives to my SL390s G7 servers i have been unable to install any OS

Here is what i get when trying to install CentOS 6 and 7(tried both and got same error for both)
Please see all attached screenshots

What do i do to fix this?

I am running BIOS firmware P69 07/02/2013(can't get latest BIOS because HP decides i must have warranty to get it, never heard of anyone else doing this, firmware upgrade needs to be paid for pretty much)

Please help as HP won't help except i have warranty.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
n00b2hp
Occasional Advisor

Sometimes after installation completes successfully(Ubuntu 14.04lts did complete successfully) but it gets to grub rescue screen

Error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'

Entering rescue mode...

Grub rescue> _

more screenshot

n00b2hp
Occasional Advisor

similar thing going on here 

https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=5493

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

[Firmware Bug]: the BIOS has corrupted hw-PMU resources (MSR 38d is 330)

Pretty much all ProLaint System ROMs will produce this message when booting the Linux kernel.  It is just an informational message. The system is reserving performance counters for system management and the kernel wants to own all the performance counters regardless.  You can disable the "Processor Power and Utilization MonitoringтАЭ feature if you really want to stop the message. Other than printing the message during boot, there isn't any negative impact on the system.

As to what is causing your issue, I'm not sure, but it isn't because of the above message shown in your first image.  What are you using as a ROM reader for /dev/sr0 as it looks like there is issues reading from the media. I know some systems can be picky about USB ROM drives.  Maybe try mounting an ISO image over iLO virtual media.  Do you have the disk controller in B110i RAID mode, if so do you also have the special 'hpvsa' driver required for it?   Most turn of B110i and just use the controller in SATA AHCI mode as the driver is only available for RHEL and SLES and not included in the distributiion media.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
n00b2hp
Occasional Advisor

Hi Jimmy,i am using Raritan KVM to mount the ISO as virtual media and like i said i have been able to install CentOS and Ubuntu with ZERO problem when i had just one hard drive. Now i have hyped the server up to 96GB RAM and 2 x L5640 and 2 x 3TB HDD and now i am getting error and cannot even install any OS as i used to anymore. Before i never got any error, zero error before when i had just 1 x 3TB HDD and 1 x L5640 and just 16GB RAM, but now all sorts of problems

Anyways i have read online that i need to disable the "Processor Power and Utilization MonitoringтАЭ feature and i HAVE DONE that as well and still get errors installing any OS. I am willing to pay to get this resolved or fixed. If you can beyond this forum, please mesdsage me.

I will attach a screenshot that i disable the "Processor Power and Utilization MonitoringтАЭ feature soon to this thread

And to answer your question, no i did not setup RAID. I wanted to install the OS on one hard drive and have the second hard drive free to use.