1748102 Members
4898 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML110 G5 - Different RAM speeds

Foxtrick

ML110 G5 - Different RAM speeds

Hi there,

I recently bought a old ML110 G5 for a lab and media server - it has 3GB DDR2 SDRAM – spread over 3x DIMMS -  ECC 800 MHz PC2-6400 DIMM 240-pin Unbuffered RAM which so far has been fine.

In terms of upgrading the RAM I did a fair bit of research and understood I would need ECC RAM to retain any of the pre-existing ram or swap out for effectively, desktop ram. Anyway, I managed to purchase 2x 2GB DDR2 ECC PC-5300 and sadly not been able to POST, getting the typical memory beeps. Either as a standalone pair or mixed with the PC-6400 stuff.

Is that expected behaviour for the G5? I know HP only ever reference the PC-6400 variant in their manual and so I wouldn't expect 'support' for it but hoped it would work?  No big deal if I have to sell them.

Thanks guys :)

3 REPLIES 3
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

ML110 G5 server supports the following type of DIMM's:
2048 MB Unbuffered ECC PC2-6400 DDR2 (2048 MB)
1024 MB Unbuffered ECC PC2-6400 DDR2 (1024 MB)
512 MB Unbuffered ECC PC2-6400 DDR2 (512 MB)

The system has four DIMM slots that support up to 8 GB maximum system memory (2 GB in each of the four DIMM slots).

Interleaving and non-interleaving memory configuration

ML110 G5 server supports both interleaving and non-interleaving memory configurations. Interleaving memory increases bandwidth by allowing simultaneous access to more than one block of data (for example, overlapping Read-Writes). This is accomplished by dividing the system memory between pairs of DIMMs and Writing-Reading blocks of data to/from both simultaneously. In order to take advantage of memory interleaving, identical DIMMs must be installed in pairs. Single DIMM can also be installed in slot 1 only if memory interleaving is not desired.

Memory installation guidelines

Observe the following important guidelines when installing memory modules:
  • Use only supported PC2-6400 DDR2-800 unbuffered ECC DIMM in 512 MB, 1 GB or 2 GB capacities.

• Supported DIMM configurations include:

• Single DIMM (non-interleaving) – It must be installed in the DIMM 1A slot.

• Two DIMMs (interleaving) – For optimum memory performance, populate DIMM slots 1A and 3B.

• Four DIMMs

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

LouisH
Valued Contributor

I don't know if this may be your problem but, You can not use desktop memory in a server. It has to be "server" memory. DIMM slots may fit desktop memory but pinout on DIMMs are different.

Regards,

Louis

Xqzit
Advisor

Hello,

Try installing a single 2GB PC2-5300 memory and see if it boots. If it doesn't boot then try updating your BIOS to the latest version from HP support site and see if it works.

If both ways it does not work then you have to return the memory from where you purchased and you need to get PC2-6400 ECC Memory.

There are many websites which provide compatible memory for your server some of those  are - Memorystock.com, Kingston etc

Goodluck!!