1747980 Members
3874 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

ML110 G7 Fan noise

sswithen
Occasional Visitor

ML110 G7 Fan noise

I am working on a new Proliant ML110 G7 server.  The front fan is running at full speed and is putting out too much noise.  I have done the following so far.

-   Firmware / software upgrades

-   BIOS options, (no fan speed options are available in the G7 bios.)

I cannot seem to isolate why it is not slowing down, since there are no options for controlling the fan.

Am I missing something, or could it be a defective server?

4 REPLIES 4
sokak_123
Occasional Advisor

Re: ML110 G7 Fan noise

I'm experiencing the same on my new ML110 G7 which will be running ESXi 5.0

There are three fans, with Fan 1 at 51%, Fan 7 at 43% and Fan 8 at 10%

I do not have a redundant power supply (there is room for a second PSU) and was not intending to purchase one. I'm curious if this is the cause of the increased fan speed as I've seen other servers that spin up the fans when you remove a redundant PSU while the unit is on.

iLO3 was updated to 1.26 which made no change. Currently downloading the entire "HP Service Pack for ProLiant" so will see if that makes any change once applied.

Hallbeck-IT

I'm having the same issue.

I'm starting to think that this is how they are currently shipping G7's.

sokak_123
Occasional Advisor

After a visit from a HP tech, my new ML110 G7 server is now whisper quiet. The front fan was the culprit.

All HP diagnostics reported green, yet the fan continued to run at around 50%. Re-seating the front fan resulted in it spinning down from 50% to around 10%.

I'm guessing that it may become dislodged during shipping so it's a good result.

unaturalx

I am currently having the same issue, stange since it is one year since reporting the original incident,  and re-seating the fan(s) did not resolve. Any additional assistance is appriciated. 

thanks!

mt