3942 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 G7 High Fan issue

Al4123
Visitor

ML110 G7 High Fan issue

Hi,

I recently bought a ML110 G7. The front fan (fan 8) is pretty loud. I am using this in my home office and it is just too noisy. The front fan is running at 41%. I have tried reseating the fan, as suggested in other posts. It is still running at exactly the same percentage. Other posts in this forum suggest that their fan speeds are much lower (like 10% - 20%).

I updated the ILO (v 1.26) and checked to see that the firmware is the latest version.

I changed the thermal cooling options in the BIOS to "optimal cooling" but it didn't do anything.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Allen

20 REPLIES 20
Priyansha
Valued Contributor

Have you updated BIOS.? If not try updating the BIOS and check..

Thank you,
Was the post useful? Click on the white KUDOS! Star.
For HP Guided Troubleshooting; https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/?language=en_US
jms703
Occasional Visitor

I too am having this issue. Except it's the rear fan. It cycles up and down all day long, with no load and in a low temperature room in the middle of winter.

I think there is a problem with my server. How do I get it fixed or get a refund?

Renjiv
Respected Contributor

Hi,

This is a most common issue on ML110 G7 series.

However in certain scenarios, the issue will be with the front fans causing the loud noise. It is because the fans are dislodged during shipping. You will need to reset the fans for fixing the noise.

If the issue is still there, then you will need to update system BIOS firmware, system management driver and firmware which in turn updates the BMC firmware. Sometimes, ehe BMC reset causes the system fans to go to maximum speed.

You will need to first update the ILO management controller driver following the below link.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=5075942&prodNameId=5075943&swEnvOID=4038&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-e89f2d6b66c242cd989e9611b6

Then update the ILO firmware to latest following the next link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3984625&swItem=MTX-408113072d35425783b72dd00f&prodNameId=3984626&swEnvOID=4064&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=5

Also update the BIOS to latest version.

I hope this will work and will reduce your fan noise.

Regards,

Renji V

Was this post useful? -
To say thanks click the "thumbs up" icon below!!! .....
jms703
Occasional Visitor

No, as I stated, the issue is with the rear system fan. I already re-seated all of the other fans.

My symptoms don't match the symptoms of issues with the PCI fan becoming unseated during shipment.

Renjiv
Respected Contributor

In that case, you can try the ILO management controller driver and firmware update. Then update the system bios to check the status.

I hope it will make some difference.

Regards,

Renji V

Was this post useful? -
To say thanks click the "thumbs up" icon below!!! .....
Al4123
Visitor

Renji,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have updated to the latest BIOS revision (April 21, 2011) and have updated the latest iLO version (1.26 Aug 26 2011) and the fan is still exactly the same. I also tried reseating the fan again with no luck. It is still stuck at the same speed of 41%.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help,

-Allen

rguha
Advisor

Hi,

I understand you have already performed the following:

-reseated the fan properly
-Update ILO and BIOS firmware

Still, there is no change.

Please find my action plan:

-Swap the fan with any other fan in the server and check if the fan speed remains same at 41% in slot8.

If the high speed follows the fan module to a different slot then we need to replace the fan and if the high speed remains with the same slot 8 irrespective of the fan module then we need to replace the system board.

Summarizing, inorder to resolve this issue we need to either replace the fan or the system board.

Please perform the above test to determine which part needs to be replaced and then log a case with HP.

Please visit the link given below to log a case with HP:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/scm/home/

How to say thank you? Please click the white Kudos star :)
rdob

The problem is simply that if a PCIE is inserted, fan 8 runs about 40 percent which is terrible noisy.

If no card is is inserted the server is whisper quiet (fan 8 about 10%).

Talked already to HP hotline, but they have no solution for the problem, the only way is to make a DOA and try to get the money back.

In my opinion its really a shame for HP that such simple things occur again and again.

Termer97

Hi all:

The SOLUTION for me was to DISABLE the **bleep** iLO.

Go to the "HP Lights-Out Online Configuration Utility" and configure it on the setup

┬┐Easy?