3971 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML110 G7 High Fan issue

JMincone
Occasional Visitor

Hi all,

Just wanted to let everyone know that when removing the stock thermal compound on the CPU and replacing it with a small amount (size of one grain of rice) with Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound and the fan noise on my

ML110 G7 was cut in half, give it a try.

John

rob-meh
Advisor

Don't suppose anyone else who has some of this to hand could try it and let me know the result.

Im desperate to try anything now!

Rob

IDH
Frequent Visitor

I may have fixed mine - been quiet for almost a week but not yet certain.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/ML110-G7-Strange-fan-behavior/m-p/5768647

dumpfbacke
Occasional Visitor

hi all,

small update:

today i installed the new bios (ver. 2012.08.10) and the new ilo-firmware (ver 1.50)...

status without any option-card installed:

after power on f1=31%, f7=13%, f8=10%. 10 minutes later: f1=52%, f7=42%, f8=10% -> very noisy... :-(

status with an additional dual-port nic:

after power on f1=31%, f7=13%, f8=38%. 10 minutes later: f1=31%, f7=13%, f8=40% -> noisy....

in both cases the default ambient temperature was 24 degrees. cooling down the ambient temperature

did not cange anything...

reseating the fans, resetting ilo-obard and changing the thermal compoung didn't change anything....

testing the new firmware / bios / setting on 2 identical systems - no difference.

@HP: new firmware is required...

best regards

dumpfbacke

robso

Hi,

is there any imporvement on this? This post is quite old but I also still have this problem. Latest available mainboard firmware and iLO firmware 1.55. Tried to downgrade the mobo firmware without any success. Just terrible loud and that's it. Somewhere I read the loud fans are caused by non HP harddisks. Is this really true? Is this some kind of punishment for using disks which cost only a fraction part of HP disks.

Cheers

Robert

supertom
Collector

I wonder if there is a solution to this issue?

supertom
Collector

I had a chat with HP tech support today, and I was advised to update iLO to 1.55 (currently latest). After installing the update, I thought this FAN NOISE issue was fixed for a moment. However, it just came back within a few seconds. Now this server is making sound of a jet. My plan was to use ML110 G7 as my home server hosting NAS and other basic things, but I don't know if my family can bare this noise. I worked with large servers in the past, but this bottom end server is making louder noise. This is crazy!!!

I really wonder what HP can do at this point...  I am also trying to find any sort of solution to this issue online, but no luck so far. I just see many people having the same issues.

Phcahill
Occasional Visitor

Just adding a me too to keep this thread alive. If I reset the bios, it's quiet for an hour or so before getting loud. Once loud it remains that way even if I switch it off till cold before switching back on. It's winter here in Australia. Room is cool.
GarethCamp23
Occasional Advisor

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd add my recent findings after months of having a noisy ML110 G7, I've just fitted the HP dedicated iLO port and am now finding that Fan 8 is only running at 10%!

I believe the HP part number is:

514206-B21

Regards,

Gareth

GarethCamp23
Occasional Advisor

Just to add, I've put my HDMI GPU in and the fan speed shot back up to 40%, with the card removed its back down to 10% so this may not be a solution for everyone, mine is now running non-standard HDDs and memory, no additional slot in cards, but with the dedicated iLO its running fan 8 (the troublesome one) at 10%.