1745795 Members
3468 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML110 G7 - Strange fan behavior

wilmerism
Occasional Contributor

I had this same issue on a DL380 G7 last year - The cause was becaseu i had non HP hard drives in the server.

This was fixed by replacing all the hard drives

This has not been an issue on the ML110 G6's

Today I just built my first ML110 G7 with no HP drives and im getting loud fan noise.

What hard drives are you all using please? Could this be my issue again?

Thanks

Termer97

Hi all:

The SOLUTION for me was to DISABLE the **bleep** iLO.

Go to the "HP Lights-Out Online Configuration Utility" and configure it on the setup

¿Easy?

Timakrisz

So I bought a HP Proliant ML110 G7 a week ago. I installed an Ubuntu linux. Under the install configuration and after it the rear fan became verry-verry loud, and (I think) reached the highest spin. It was realy loud. I checked the temperature (it was about 28C in the room). So after several times of bios settings, browsing on forums, I turned of the PC and remove the cover. I removed the grey plastic cover from inside. And there WAS'NT a cooling radiator on the moatherbord.

Cooling Radiator Missed

Sry dont have a real picture, because I went to back the Market and tried to change it. The Sales manager wanted to sell an another Server (same type). I told: lets check it inside: and the radiator missing again....He told me: it is normal... WHAT??? Is it normal?  I can't believe. I asked to money back, and buy an another server.

So I think, the Coolers arent stupids maybe you have the same problem. If there is no Cooling Radiator, the temperature realy high near the Temperature sensor cable connector and it make fan to increase speed. 

Check it.

Howooden
Occasional Visitor

Having unsuccessfuly tried the methods mentioned - here's how I seem to have fixed my fan issue (Rear fan @ 50% - 54% regardless of ambient temperature or load).

Power on the server.
Press the F9 key to enter RBSU.
Select "Advanced."
Go into "Thermal Configuration and select "Increased Cooling."

Exit and restart server.

Using iLO all fans now run at around 47% and boy is it noisy.

Restart server and repeat process, setting "Thermal Configuration" back to "Optimal Cooling"

After this I had a very quiet ML110 G7. I hope this works for you.

Regarding the missing heatsink see HP's explanation.

NickMartin
Advisor

Also getting fan issues.

For the first 24 hours of continuous running the fans were virtually silent. Then noticed that the fans had picked up pace dispite the room being no warmer than the previous day and the server wasn't under load.

iLO reported Fan 1 running at 50%, Fan 7 running at 47% and Fan 8 running at 10%

Checked seting of fans. Updated BIOS and firmware. Machine ran silently for 10 mins before fans picked up to their old speed.

Tried disabling iLO - no difference.

Tried setting to 'Increased cooling' then back to 'Optimal cooling' in the BIOS.

iLO reported Fan 1 running at 54%, Fan 7 running at 46% and Fan 8 running at 10%

Reset iLO and instantly the macine fell silent.

iLO reported Fan 1 running at 30%, Fan 7 running at 13% and Fan 8 running at 10%

After 10 minutes fans are back to their old speed:

iLO reported Fan 1 running at 54%, Fan 7 running at 46% and Fan 8 running at 10%

Temperatures all seem reasonable, cooling seems excessive.

Any further advice on how to approach this problem?

Ali
HPE Pro

Hi,

I had the similar issue, which has been resolved by updating the system bios, iLo firmware and system management driver.

as per my personal experience, Bios and ilo firmware upgrade and sometime downgrade does the trick.... not sure whether its a feasible option for you.

thanks,

Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

NickMartin
Advisor

Aftab,

Are you saying you had a similar problem with the ML110 G7 or just with another machine?

If it was specifically with the ML110 G7 then please advise the version numbers of the iLO firmware, BIOS and System Management driver that now work for you and I will try them out.

I was running old versions of all 3 when I first started using the unit and have since upgraded to the latest versions of each.

This isn't homoeopathy; if you run two identical machines in two identical environments with the same combination of drivers and firmware you should get the same results, unless the machines or the environment aren't identical.

Can anyone advise a combination of BIOS, firmware and drivers that actually works? If so then I'll try them and if I'm still experiencing the problem then it's a hardware fault.

Nick

IDH
Frequent Visitor

Nick

At last someone who has the same problem as me with a ML110 G7 - ok I haven't found a solution yet but at least it's not just me.

And your description of events matches mine - no change in temperature from the sensors but the fan speeds increase

I'm on my 2nd ML110 G7. RMA'd the first one back to Ebuyer with the overspeed fans but this one is just the same.

Current setup which HAS the fan problem:

System ROM (firmware) J01 02/01/2012 (already at latest version on delivery)
ILO version 1.28 (updated from 1.26 but made no difference)

Your idle fan speed of 30%/13%/10% matches mine.

The number of recent fan problem reports on the web is increasing, and will surely continue with the cashback offer creating a sales increase.

If HP don't acknowledge that there is a problem, they soon will need to with all the RMA'd machines coming back to haunt them.

As Nick has indicated, if anyone knows the combination of firmware/software that works, please let us know.

Ian

Edit: other links to same problem

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/ML110-G7-High-Fan-issue/td-p/5563939#.UDDRG91lS4p

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/ML110-G7-fan-noise/td-p/5442955#.UDDRT91lS4o

http://www.gibel.net/Blog/tabid/64/EntryId/22/HP-ML110-G7-strange-fan-behavior-extremely-loud.aspx

IDH
Frequent Visitor

Not yet a definitive solution since the ambient temperatures have cooled a bit here.

Having looked at other threads, the one about replacing the thermal paste between CPU and cooler intrigued me.

So I took a look to see how difficult that would be. Four bolts hold the cooler in place. I loosened one a little and it did not seem very tight.

So I tightened it up. Repeated on the other 3 bolts, ie backed each one off about 10 degrees and then tightened about 20 degrees (overall tightening of 10 degrees - not a lot).

This was just a desperate measure but since then the fans have been rock solid at minimum speed.

Ambient temperature has got up to 23 degrees C (which previously was enough to trigger the fans speed increase). Until ambient reaches at least 24, I won't be convinved this a definitive fix but I'm hopeful. 

If anyone else has success with this, please confirm. it would be nice to know it wasn't some coincidence.

Edit: just hours after I posted this, the ambient has increased to 23degC and the fans have gone to 41%/34%/10%. Not too noisy so fingers crossed it will not increase further.

Update: the fan increase was a result of a runaway VM that used 100% of a core so justified. Closed that down, reset ILO and back to peace and quiet.

Ian

NickMartin
Advisor

After replacing the thermal paste mine ran silently for 2 weeks, now back to 54% / 46% / 10%  :o(

Nick