4322 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion

ML110 G7 - Strange fan behavior

IngiS
Occasional Visitor

ML110 G7 - Strange fan behavior

Hi.

I have a ML110 G7 where the PCI fan runs constantly at 50% speed. I contacted HP and got a new fan. The new fan runs constantly at 47% speed. The server has 2 HDD and a P410i SAC.

During POST both the fans spin directly to this speed 50% or 47% and there is no change when the OS starts.

Anyone got an idea of what is failing?

Regards, Ingi.

43 REPLIES 43
Abhishek Bangalore
Frequent Advisor

Re: ML110 G7 - Strange fan behavior

Hello,

I understand that the fans are running at the constant speed but this is not a issue still I would suggest you to udpate the ILO firmware as ILO manages all the fans and other component.

Refer the link in order to update the firmware:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=5075942&prodNameId=5075943&swEnvOID=4064&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-fae28e312ba245b6a7f0252f64

Regards

Abhishek

Help other's for Better Tomorrow

I am an HP Employee
IngiS
Occasional Visitor

Hi.

I already have the latest ILO firmware. I beleive that this is an issue, I manage many other HP Proliants and none of them are running any fans at this speed when idle and even under heavy load I have not seen this fan speeds. The fan makes a loud noise and the server is in a quiet environment and therefore annoying.

To be more specific the new fan starts at 47% and after 10 minutes it starts going from 47% - 50% back and forth every 10-15 seconds. No load on server.

Regards, Ingi.

Abhishek Bangalore
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

As you mentioned that the ILO is up to date I would suggest you to download the smart start disk and run the offline diagnostic and provide us the report:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=5075942&prodNameId=5075943&swEnvOID=4064&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-8d8870eebb4244918bd75303f4

Also please change the below provided option:

Regards

Abhishek

1. Power on the server.
  2. Press the F9 key to enter RBSU.
  3. Select "Advanced."
  4. Select "FanSpeed."
  5. Set the defaultspeedof the fans to "low."

Regards

Abhishek

Help other's for Better Tomorrow

I am an HP Employee
IngiS
Occasional Visitor

Hi.

Attached is the report.

The option you mentioned is not available. Under Advanced I only have Thermal Configuration and there I can either select Optimal Cooling or Increased Cooling. Optimal is selected.

Regards, Ingi.

IngiS
Occasional Visitor

Hi.

I'm unable to post a message with attachment! Can I send it to you via e-mail?

/Ingi

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I'm unable to post a message with attachment

How big is your attachment and what is its suffix?

cyadav

Hi,

I am having the same issue with a new HP ProLiant Ml110 G7 assigned to me at my work place. Did anyone manage to resolve this issue?

Thnaks.

sokak_123
Occasional Advisor

I have an open case with HP and have received a response saying that it's working as intended.

Unfortunately, the quickspecs say the server should run around 44 dB. Using two separate iPhone apps, I've got the sound measuring 73 dB (granted the iPhone isn't a dedicated sound meter, however, I'm reluctant to spend $300 on one just to prove a point with support).

The support case is still open. I would expect a rack-mount server to be this noisy, not a tower.

Dennis Balogh
Visitor

Just set up a new ML110 G7 and it is behaving the same way; fans constantly at between 46 and 55%.