3773 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML115 G1 - Can't add RAID1 mirror without destroying data - NVIDIA RAID

Boma23_1
Collector

ML115 G1 - Can't add RAID1 mirror without destroying data - NVIDIA RAID

Hi,

We recently built a SBS 2008 on ML115 G1, using the onboard NVIDIA RAID for a RAID 1 OS arry of 2 x 160GB, and had intended to set a second DATA array of 2 x 1TB, but one of the disks failed whilst building...

So the server was built using just the single RAID1 array for the OS, and the remianing 1TB standalone disk for the DATA whilst we awaited replacement. This disk was left as normal SATA, not RAID in the BIOS, as the 2nd array was never created.

Now we have the new disk, I want to create the new 2nd array and use the existing 1TB as a source disk for the mirroring, but each time I go to create it, I am warned all data will be destroyed on the disks.

Is there a way of creating this new mirrored array without having to destroy the existing data, or otherwise copy it to another location and then copy it back? This would be a standard operation with most hardware RAID...
7 REPLIES 7
boma23

We could copy everything out, create the RAID, and then copy back, but this is a production server in a print shop running late at short notice most nights so we can't really schedule the time.

Any ideas?
boma23

Hi again,

Coming back to this one after the motherboard freaked out, and we had to transfer everything to new motherboard and hardware, braking all the existing RAID.

Having researched more and given our current situation, we've decided the onboard RAID is junk, we want to add a decent RAID card that will support 2 x RAID 1 arrays, the DATA array notable being built from 2 x 1TB drives.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a suitable RAID card for this server that comes in at a reasonable price?

SBS 2008, RAID 1 OS array of 2 x 160GB, RAID 1 data array of 2 x 1TB
TTr
Honored Contributor

This server officially supports the HP E200 controller The E200 is also a low end controller.

The newer raid controllers such as the P212 might also work but probably because of the age difference of the server and controllers, the controllers have not been tested.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12704_div/12704_div.HTML
boma23

Thanks for the reply. Looking at that controller, it's a SAS only card if I'm not mistaken?

I actually need a SATA card, as their existing disks are all SATA.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/smartarraye200/index.html

Cor will purchase of the HP Internal SATA/SAS cable

430479-B2

allow me to keep the existing 4 SATA disks?

Saberus
Valued Contributor

The E200 and P212 controllers are SAS, but they also support SATA drives. The SAS standard was designed to support SATA as well.
boma23

Ok, so to confirm, I require the card and the cable together then.

also how do you assign points, there's no obvious link anywhere?
Saberus
Valued Contributor

Yes, the 430479-B21 cables should be what you need.

As far as points, I can't help you, I rarely have questions that don't already have answers on the forum.