1748036 Members
4740 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML310 G4 - Boot from IDE drive?

Stephen Berry
Occasional Advisor

ML310 G4 - Boot from IDE drive?

We have a HP MP310 G4 server, it has an IDE channel with DVD ROM drive, and a hot swap SATA bay with 4 slots. We want to fill the SATA bay with 4 hot swap drives, and have the OS on a separate IDE drive fitted under the DVD ROM drive. The problem is, I can't get the server to boot from the IDE disk. I can boot from the DVD drive, install Server 2003 to the IDE drive, but when it restarts it ignores the drive and tries all other boot devices and fails. I've tried cloning a working 2003 install to the drive, as well as a fresh install.

The integrated IDE controller is in the boot menu in the BIOS.

Is there a reason why this server won't boot from an IDE hard drive? If so, why will it boot from an IDE DVD ROM drive on the same channel but not a hard drive?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
4 REPLIES 4
Cookie_2
Frequent Advisor

Re: ML310 G4 - Boot from IDE drive?

Hi Stephen,

This server is not designed to have a IDE hdd connected to that channel. Although technically speaking it should boot. Also if you look at the quickspecs there are no compatible IDE hard-drives listed only SAS and SATA.

This leads me to believe that the IDE connectors are for CD/DVD drives only.

Link for quickspecs

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12570_na/12570_na.html#Overview

Regards,
Claud
Sometimes a Loser Wins!!
Stephen Berry
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for this. I had just assumed that if it can do the DVD, it would boot a HD too.
Cookie_2
Frequent Advisor

You're Welcome
Sometimes a Loser Wins!!
e4services
Honored Contributor

I see you have your answer, but to add in explaination, the IDE controller HP has integrated in most servers does not have the BIOS capability for hard drives. I do not know the teshnical reasoning for this, may be in the actual contoller chip itself, but I do know that they do not have the capability to completely control mondern IDE hard drives (similar to the old 'Type 1 thru 40 selections you use to have in computer BIOS to select you hard drive), that is they do not have the extensed LBA ability.
What we have done in the past was to install a quality brand IDE controller in the server. Adaptec has a line that you can completely controller in there BIOS, that is control how the controller works with the systemboard BIOS, allowing you to remove the card from the boot strap if you wish. Most cheaper brands will just insert themselves into the boot strap, becoming the boot device, not allowing any onboard devices to boot.
We find this a good solution, 'cause you it is a nice implimentation removing the WIndows OS from the Server/RAID, so messy and resourse intensive.
Hot Swap Hard Drives