3648 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G5 Disk Failure

fricci
Advisor

Hi, Pac
thank you for your suggestions, but I never observed an unwanted reboot on that server.
Instead, I got corrupted files (and partitions) after a ***regular*** reboot (for example after applying some patches), as well as using some software applications.
The message "1792-Drive Array Reports Valid Data Found in Array Accelerator" (almost) always appears after a ***regular*** reboot with driver 6.6.0.32 or older and a similar behaviour is observed with driver 6.8.0.32.
The only version that seems not to be affected by this issue is 6.6.2.32.
I got some file corruption just rebooting also with the last driver 6.8.0.32.

Please note, just before clicking "reboot" I ran chkdsk on all volumes and all was ok.
After rebooting, during post, the message "1792-Drive Array Reports Valid Data Found in Array Accelerator" appeared, after login I ran chkdsk and I found files corruption on a volume. Chkdsk was unable to fix the problem also during the next restart, so I had to reformat the volume and to restore it from a previous backup.
I got 6-7 file/partition corruptions from the end of May.
On August 18 I had to completely restore all the system......

I know that PSU could be something involved in this issue, but I think that this could be the job of the HP support technician.... I have no PSU to change, they have them! Also cabling and backplane are potentially involved in this issue, but I have no backplane to change, because I don't work at HP....
I saw the output of the HPSRPT, I called it a diagnostic utility because it collects useful logs for diagnostic.

This was the response of 2nd level support (traslated from Italian language):
------------------------------------------
To solve the data loss issue, please do the following operations in the exposed order
1) Install driver 6.8.0.32
2) Install KB932755 which solve many problems.

If you read KB932755 you can notice that they suggest to install driver 6.8.0.32 BEFORE to install KB932755, otherwise you could get a BSOD. And I can't find in KB932755 something directy related to the specific issue. They didn't read the KB932755 at all!
At the end of August I didn't install KB932755 because after installing driver 6.8.0.32 I got a data corruption, so I had to downgrade to ver 6.6.2.32, then if I install KB932755 I could get a crash.

After 3 months of data corruptions this is the only answer I got! An endless trial and error debugging procedure at the expense of the customer!

I think these people have nothing to do with a technical role..... they are unable to walk through some technical issue.

Regards.
fricci
Advisor

Sorry, in my previous post I wrote in a backward order the response of 2nd level support. This is the response of 2nd level support:
To solve the data loss issue, please do the following operations in the exposed order
1) Install KB932755 which solve many problems.
2) Install driver 6.8.0.32

Regards.

WOW!
I wish that i had found this thread a month ago. I've been investigating an unexpected reboot issue on numerous Ml350 G5 servers. Forgive me for not reading this whole thread, but i believe I'm having the same issue. After several conversations with HP support, they kept tell me that it was one of my applications or Microsoft's problem. Only after i found kb932755, did the support person admit that it may be related to the HP e200i driver. After updating all HP drivers, firmware and BIOS, i install Win2K3 SP2 and my problem seems to have gone away. It's only been 2 days, so i'm crossing my fingers.

Did this solve everyone elses issues?

Thanks
Kris
Jim Philipson
Occasional Advisor

Sorry for no update in a while. Here is a brief recap.

Same error as folks above. Called HP and they ultimately sent the correct part and replaced the systemboard/E200i. Diagnosed the controller as bad but it is integrated so the whole board had to go. I wanted to replace the SCSI backplane too but that didn't fit the diagnosis.

System rebooted again, different stop error, sorry I don't have that with me. HP diagnosed as a bad power backplane and replaced.

System rebooted again - no stop error this time, just a complete mystery. Told HP the customer is unwilling to troubleshot this any further on a new computer. Replace or return are the only options.

They now want to replace the SCSI backplane.

I have had four different cases open on this server and have zero confidence in the box at this point. It may run a week or longer before the problem comes up again. How can I put that into production? How long does it have to run before I can declare it stable? Why would the customer put up with this?

Every computer company makes a lemon or two. I think I've got one of HP's.

Good Luck.
Jason Riebe

Hi all, I to have been troubled with a customers ML350 Exchange server with e200i controller after installing psp 7.9, firmware 7.9 and Win2kSP2. I have just installed the KB932755 patch and all has been good for 24 hours, fingers crossed.
PinnacleCS
Occasional Advisor

Were you having data corruption problems or blue screen problems? I am having the 1792 errors on reboot, no BSOD or data corruption yet but the server isn't in production. I appled the KB AFTER the 7.9 support pack. I sure hope this is resolved!
francis obuon

I have a similar problem with exactly the same server, ML350 G5.It keeps reporting that both PSUs have failed or are unplugged and should be replaced.I've cleared error logs,re-installed HP SIM but to no avail. Any ideas?

Does anyone have the definitive fix for this? I have a brand new ML350 G5 with the same issue - intermittent 1792 notification on boot. I am supposed to go into production with this box in the next week or so and after reading this am reticent to do so. I have the latest firmware and drivers (7.91 series) installed and am running SBS 2003 R2 SP2. I don't believe I have the aforementioned MS KB installed but will look into it.

Thanks.

Scott
PinnacleCS
Occasional Advisor

Have both PSU's replaced and install the hot fix in the KB article mentioned that will fix it. I also back-reved to support pack 7.8 just to be safe because 7.9 had a lot of issues. I have another ML350 G5 coming in so I'll let you know what I find there too.

Blake

Thanks Pinnacle CS. I checked both supplies against the Customer Advisory and both are good. I installed hotfix 932755 and will beat the snot out of the system and reboot 50 times before I go into production. The few reboots I've done since the hotfix have been clear of 1792's, although I have not done a lot of I/O on the system. Please do let me know how testing goes with your new G5 as well. Thanks again.

Scott