ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752790 Members
6154 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML350p Gen8 - Hard Drives, SBS and Controller??

naylin
Visitor

So the Seagate constellation drives work with the smartarray 420i , no temperature issues.

How about the Samsung 850pro?

rebus9
Advisor

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add a few observations and ask a question.

1.)  The 3rd party (non-HP branded) Gen8 carriers work perfectly for every disk we've tried so far.  LEDs show all the proper status based on array type, health, etc.

2.)  The Samsung 850 Pro works fine, with one exception I'll get to in a moment.

3.)  The Samsung SM863 Enterprise SSDs work just like the 850 Pro, and performance is even slightly better.... with the same "problem" mentioned below.

Ok, now for the problem-- the Wear Status Indicator shown in the Smart Storage Administrator.

Before spending money on 850 Pro and SM863 disks, we tested the 3rd party carriers using the super-cheap'o Samsung 840 EVO-- yes, the cheap EVO, not the Pro.  Everything worked AND SO DID the Wear Status indicator.

But the Wear Status shows "Not Supported" on the 850 Pro and SM963 Enterprise models.  In another thread, another person said his GENUINE HP SSD also shows Wear Status "Not Supported".   That thread is here:  SSD Wear Status "Not Supported"  

Anybody know WHY such an important metric as Wear Status would be supported on previous-generation 840 EVO disks, but NOT on current 850 Pro and SM863 units?  And apparently not even on HP branded SSDs, if the poster in that other thread was telling the truth.?

Anonymous
Not applicable

SFF vs LFF caddies, whats the difference? I'm new to this area so please explain...

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

S is small, L is large, 2.5" vs. 3.5"

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!