1751971 Members
4804 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML370 G2, G3: No automatic Power On After UPS shutdown

pudellek
Advisor

ML370 G2, G3: No automatic Power On After UPS shutdown

We use these systems with neither APC nor HP/Compaq UPS's. There's no Power Manger, no (Microsoft) UPS service or else. We use our own UPS service to monitor/shutdown.

UPS shuts server down, power is restored and - ML370 stays off and must be _manually_ switched on.

What's that? Of course, we want our servers to re-boot after power being restored!

There's no means to get the well-known EVO power switch behaviour: Power On after Power Loss!

No BIOS setting availibale, no OS setting else (NT, W2k, W2k3). No system setting, no policy setting. Absolutely NOTHING I could find.

ML370 G4 allows to set "always power on" in F9-Setup - which is not the thing we want really.

Didn't find any threads elsewhere regarding that ugly behaviour.
Any hints?
8 REPLIES 8
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: ML370 G2, G3: No automatic Power On After UPS shutdown

This machine does power on after a power loss. Have you pulled the power cord on one of these servers while the machine is posting or from within the OS? Plug the power cord back in and it will power up. I'd recommend looking at this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819760
The hotfix described is also available from HP:
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp25501-26000/SP25746.exe
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
pudellek
Advisor

Terry,
I know about these MS hints. They are for Win2003 and english OS only. They don't cover my problem. I do not want servers to stay at prompt to switch off after shutdown!

ML370 G2 doesn't power on after regular shutdown by an UPS in Win2000. Same, if I manually issue shutdown (_without_ reboot).

It does power on, if you interrupt while not having loaded Win2000.

So, ist there any "ACPI override switch" or else?
Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

Hello, I have the same problem with ML350 G3 and DL360 G3, I called tech support, supposedly there is no way to upgrade them to RBSU 2.1, which does expose the EVO power switch behavior.

Anyway, if you find a solution, would you please share it???

Thank you, Tom
pudellek
Advisor

Tom,
sorry to say - no solution up to now. The ML370G2 doesn't have RBSU, where you might have some Power (ACPI) control.
I've looked up the ACPI spec's, it's about 600 pages - wow, indeed a fundamental description. I believe the Win2k HAL, which is ACPI compliant, sets some register(s) in NVRam to accomplish the (for me) not-wated behaviour. If you knew about the deatils, there might be an easy workaround.
Thus far, you might override ACPI by installing the OS with (dumb) standard IBM PC kernel.
Perhaps the Linux workers with their own kernel have some insight into ACPI details regarding power switch behaviour?
Gottfried
Paul Finch

Anyone discovered a solution to this yet? Thanks in advance. Just updated my ML250 G3 to the latest BIOS but still no RBSU 2.1 and thus no auto power up option to enable. I also have a ML350 G4 which can do this.
Paul Finch

ML350 G3, Win2k here. Same issue.
I am so tempeted to pull the front button out and short circuit it.
Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

Paul, I noticed you said Win2k.
You may have to install Win2k3 and the corresponding hotfix.
I answered you in another forum thread btw.
Thank you, Tom
Paul Finch

Yeah, thanks for that. That might be my only option. It clearly works for you. Unfortunately I have already overspent my budget for this year.
I find it odd that the solution is OS based. The server is only 2 years OLD and according to HP you would not want a server to power up after an outage at 4am on a Saturday morning.