ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748019 Members
4560 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Massive memory usage of Insight Management SNMP NIC Agent (cpqnimgt.exe), still memory leak?

ClearLife
Collector

Massive memory usage of Insight Management SNMP NIC Agent (cpqnimgt.exe), still memory leak?

Hi,

I've read Document ID: c02914495

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02914495

which talks about a memory leak in cpqnimgt.exe affecting Windows 2008 R2, "The memory leak has been corrected in Insight Management NIC Agents and Insight Management WBEM Providers for Windows Server 2003/2008 in ProLiant Support Pack (PSP) Version 8.70 (or later)" and it clearly says "Note: Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003 are not affected by this issue."

I am running Windows 2008 Datacenter edition with all the latest service packs and patches (v6.0.6002 SP2 Build 6002), on a ProLiant DL360 G5 (Bios P58 5/2/2011). This server is only running an MS SQL server and iis/web server.

cpqnimgt.exe was using 4GB of virtual memory !! File version 9.10, dated 3/19/2012 11:07.

My Windows Event Log says:

Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: cpqnimgt.exe (4536) consumed 4,037,636,096 bytes, sqlservr.exe (1488) consumed 46,4080,896 bytes, and svchost.exe (316) consumed 193,638,400 bytes.

Any idea, anyone?

Thanks

T

3 REPLIES 3
Ali
HPE Pro

Re: Massive memory usage of Insight Management SNMP NIC Agent (cpqnimgt.exe), still memory leak?

Hi,

If you already running with PSP 8.70 or later then try disabling the anti-virus software (example:Macafee) if installed to narrow down the issue.

Also check IML logs, windows event log for any specific error which has been generated.

hope this helps,

How to Say Thanks... Click on Star Kudos

Cheers!

Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

ClearLife
Collector

Hmmmm, thanks.

The version I'm running as I mentioned in my message is 9.10, ie, 8.70 or later,yes.

The relevant Windows Event log message I get is shown in my original post too. Nothing else of interest in there.

The IML Log shows: "Corrected Memory Error threshold exceeded" for when I stopped the Insight Mgt NIC Agent windows service.

I'm afraid I'm not gonna stop the Antivirus. I can't really play with a production server and wait for it to crash again. This is not a crash of a program. This is more and more memory slowly being taken by a service eventually leading to a crash of other programs because of "out of memory" issues.

I had this issue in May, and just rebooted. Then again in June, when I found out about the advisory and installed the latest PSP. But it's happened again now.

I now have disabled the Windows Service "HP Insight NIC Agents". What are the effect of this?

Thanks a lot,

T

Ali
HPE Pro

Hi

Good Information.

The IML Log shows: "Corrected Memory Error threshold exceeded" for when I stopped the Insight Mgt NIC Agent windows service.

HP Advanced Memory Error Detection Technology is introduced in the System ROM upgrade (May 2011 or later) so Please check System BIOS version. If already have an updated BIOS version then consider "

Corrected Memory Error threshold exceeded as a pre-failure warrning and replace the effected DIMM at the earliest.

You may run the HP Insight diagnostic offline Test on memory for approx 10 loops to test all the memory in the system for failure.

I now have disabled the Windows Service "HP Insight NIC Agents". What are the effect of this?

NIC agent provides Status and Health  information to Management Applicatiions (SMH, HP SIM etc.) disabling this agent will stop NIC alerts being sent to Management application.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Aftab

Click on Star Kudos if you think information provided is helpful.

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo