ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1756049 Members
4469 Online
108839 Solutions
New Discussion

Memory error DL380 G8 Processor 2 socket 8

ALC15

Memory error DL380 G8 Processor 2 socket 8

I extended memory on a DL380 G8 server with two E5-2650 processors. After that I was getting memory errors on processor 2 socket 8. I replaced the memory and the same problem came up. When I did advanced testing the memory was failing de “SPD Verify Test”. I switch the memory and same happened. I realized that every memory that I put in processor 2 socket 8 will brake and will not pass the “SPD Verify Test” any more. I mainly have Kinston modules but also HP smart memory modules broke down.
HP Support replaced the motherboard and 2 processors. Al broken memory was replaced also. Problem is now solved.

At the same time I extended the memory I bought a server with exactly the same specs as the server above. This server now has the exact same problem. Every dimm I put in processor 2 socket 8 will brake and will not pass “SPD Verify Test” even when I put the dim in a different socket. Until now I tested only with Kingston modules. HP support is not very willing to help me despite of the previous case, a new server and a server that never runs production.

It looks like a problem in the hardware. Are some of you recognize this with your server or do some of you have unexplained shutdowns? That’s the symptom when running VMware on the system.
At first it was difficult to find the source of the unexplained shutdown, but now I know I can do a “SPD Verify Test”.