New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mix branded CPUs

SOLVED
Go to solution
Skoel
Occasional Contributor

Mix branded CPUs

Hello,

I need to add an additional Intel Xeon E5620 to my ML350 G6.

Unfortunately it is out of stock for all distributers and they cannot get any information on when it will be in restock.

However one distributer has the CPU in stock, but branded for DL380 G7 (HP part number 587476-B21)

My question is, will this CPU work in my ML350 G6?

I am aware that I might have to purchase another heatsink, which is fine. But I need to know if the CPU will work before buying it.

The HP support thought it would work, but could not give me a definite answer.

2 REPLIES 2
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Lookup partsurfer gives:

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=587476-B21

Product Number : 587476-B21   Description : HP DL380 G7 INTEL XEON E5620 (2.40GHZ/4-CORE/12MB/80W) PROCE

496064-001 Latch type heatsink assembly - For up to 80 watts processors - Latches to the top of the processor with the heatsink retaining bracket (processor cage assembly)

594887-001 Intel Xeon E5620 Quad-Core 64-bit processor - 2.40GHz (Westmere-EP, 12MB Level-3 cache, Intel QuickPath Interconnect (QPI) speed 5.86 GT/s, 80W thermal design power (TDP), socket FCLGA 1366)

Check if the CPU is the same. The difference in the product (CPU+heatsink) is the heatsink.

If you don't need the heatsink, try to get only the CPU. The heatsink you need is probably a 508876-001 - check partsurfer with the serial no. of your server.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Skoel
Occasional Contributor

Thank you! I will order the CPU and another Heatsink seperately