1752808 Members
5809 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ml110 G7 Fan speed.

rob-meh
Advisor

It is a new unit purchased the other week.

Ah I emiled the company I purchased it from as I expected it to come with an Ilo port. I can see where it should be but there is a blanking plate there. So I never really looked in to it as I didn't need it.

But as I say Ilo was working before and the fans were still running high. Just had a look this morning remotely and they are still at around 10%, 50% & 50% just glad im not currently sat next to it!

Would any 3rd party tools be able to control the fan speeds? I have seen some for desktops computers but not heard anything for servers.. Not I would look for it but im getting desperate now!

Rob

rob-meh
Advisor

This probably makes me sounds a bit dim..  But im having great trouble getting the Ilo back up.

My plan was to go back in the f5 menu and enable it again.. But this keeps bouncing me saying I have to go through f8 to re-enable it.. Only f8 isnt doing anything...

Can someone let me know how to re-enable the Ilo 3 interface please.

Rob

NickMartin
Advisor

You have to set dip switch number 1 to 'On' on the motherboard then reboot and start pressing F8 as the system is booting (when the HP logo is displayed). Keep repeatedly hitting the F8 key.

NickMartin
Advisor

Like you I'm starting to think the only option is going to be hardware modifications.

It's a shame because other than the fan noise it seems to be a great unit :o(

Nick

Jeffrey D Chard
Frequent Advisor

Is the drive you installed a HP hard disk?

I have read that the fans run faster because the server cannot properly monitor the drive temperature in compatible non HP drives 

Having said that, I am using a ml110g7 with 4 3.5 sata non HP drives with no issues at all. 2 are constellations, but the other 2 are cheaper hitachi 

rob-meh
Advisor

The drives currently installed are not HP ones.

When I get some time I will have to try migrating the ESXI install on to the HP disk and seeing how that runs.

I have just re-enabled the Ilo and the web interface is reporting all the fans have dropped in speeds.

Fan 1 @ 33%, Fan 7 @ 10%, Fan 8 @ 10%. Barely a sound out of it!

I will leave all the ESXI servers off tonight and see how the fans are doing in the morning with the server not doing anything.

But I refuse there is not a fix for this.. After all it is a entry server and most businesses that buy this don't have dedicated server rooms to hide it off in!

Rob

NickMartin
Advisor

Rob,

That's what happened when I reset the iLO. 10 minutes later back to 50% :o(

I've tried running with just the one drive in it that came supplied with the unit: still runs at 50%.

Nick

NickMartin
Advisor

Here's another question:

If I replace all the fans with 5v ones running off the PSU will iLO go mad and shut the server down?

If that is the case will disbling iLO stop the server monitoring the fans?

Will doing the above invalidate my warranty?

Will hitting the case with a big stick help, because I'm close to that point now.

Nick

rob-meh
Advisor

The big stick also helps!

Well the fans are sticking at the correct speeds.. and have been all night.

I left the server running with no ESXI servers running last night and the fans were still the same speeds this morning. I then started two servers and the fan speeds have not changes so all seems good for now.

What I did was:

Go to the F9 setup screen and disable the logo boot

Update to the latest fimware with the prolient service pack.

Restart the server and Hit F5

Disable everything you can from this screen (disabled ILO)

Restart the server (once or twice)

Shutdown the server

Enable the override switch on the mobo to position 1

Turn the server on and hit F8

Enable ILo and all the options (I also set up an IP for it this time)

Save and exit this part.

Shutdown the server (I help the power button in)

Turn the override switch back to 0

Turn the server on and make sure ILO it running. (Mine showed the IP I set)

Once the server is on head on over to the ILO page and see what the fan speeds are.

If they are correct just leave it for a while with out starting any ESXI servers and see if they stay the same.

This seems like a really long way of doing it.. and included my mistakes but it seems to be holding steady so maybe there is some magic in my ways...

I will keep you updated on if it holds.

Rob

rob-meh
Advisor

Guess I spoke too soon.

Been working on the ESXI servers for a few hours now and fan speeds have gone back to how they were.

This looks to be ESXI's doing?

Are you trying to run ESXI on your Ml110?

Rob