1753504 Members
4788 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Ml110 G7 Fan speed.

NickMartin
Advisor

No, not trying to run ESXI on my ML110. If I reset the iLO it runs silently for a while then picks up speed again.

Been doing more Googling and a common official response to this problem seems to be that its operating this way by design.

I'm convinced the cooling is excessive. Considering getting hold of some cheap alternative fans and running them off the PSU so I can control the fan speed independantly. Worried however that iLO is going to think that as it doesn't recognise the fans that it will shut the server down.

NickMartin
Advisor

Have checked the temps when fans running at 31%/13%/10% after iLO reset then again after running for an hour after they've picked up to 54%/46%/10%. The temperature reduction doesn't warrant the extra noise, electricity or wear and tear IMHO.

Have attached the results - first 'Reading' column is 31%/13%/10% second is 54%/46%/10%.

Nick

rob-meh
Advisor

I agree it does not warrent the noise and its really starting to bug me now.

I have been playing around with ESXI as it was fine till I started playing with it. But I have updated the to the latest  esxi bundle with no joy. 

There must be a simple solution to this. What OS are you running?

Possibly try your fan solution it might be the only way. I think its the front fan under the drives that is causing the problem.

Rob

rob-meh
Advisor

Just spend ages on the online support bit with HP talking to a guy..

He assess me this problem is with the power state of the server but I am not at home to test it.

Nick can you let me know what you have yours set to?

Power Management settings in the Bios.

Mine currently looks like this:

HP Power Profile: Custom

HP Power Regulator: OS Control Mode

Advanced Power Management Options \ Minimum Processor Idle Power State: C6 States

I am going to change the Power regulator to Dynamic and see if that helps. (He assess me it will)

Rob

NickMartin
Advisor

HP Power Profile = Balanced Power and Performance

HP Power Regulator = HP Dynamic Power Saving Mode

Advanced Power Management Options \ Minimum Processor Idle Power State = C6 State

Nick

NickMartin
Advisor

Any luck with your settings Rob?

Nick

rob-meh
Advisor

Hi Nick. No luck as of yet.
Esxi required it to be set to os controlled or it purple screens.

I read some where re-sitting the heat sink with artic cooling paste helps. So i bought some as it was only £3 when i get the motivation to do it I will give it a try.

But im stating to lose faith in getting this to work and the HP online chat were useless.
You get any spare fans to see if they worked?

Rob
NickMartin
Advisor

Tried it and as I suspected it couldn't detect the fans and so it beeped a few times reported it couldn't find the fans then said 'cooling insufficient' and shut down. :o(

NickMartin
Advisor

I'll try disabling iLO and running the same test again.

If not I may buy a replacement 4 pin fan and try rewiring the power to feed off 5v or 7v while maintaining the other pins so that it gives feedback to the mobo. Won't matter then how fast the system tries to get it to spin because it will only ever get whatever power I give it, so will maintain a constant silent running state.

Of course if the system tries to push it up to 50% and detects it isn't spinning fast enough it may assume the fan is faulty and shut down. Trial and error I suppose.

Nick

rob-meh
Advisor

Not sure if I have cured this or its tricking me.. But I replaced the thermal paste with the artic cooling stuff and it started up at the same speeds then after an hour or so they dropped and have been down for 24 hours now.

The stuff I used was: ebay  (£3.50)

I also swapped the fans around on the board.. Plugged fan 7 in to fan 8 port and vice versa...

But as I say its been going at 24 hours now and I have seen it altering speeds depending on how hot it gets to increasing just one fan just a little instead of all of them to 50% & then return it to normal state.

Will keep you informed Nick.

Rob